Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Hi. I extracted this first paragraph from a local newspaper article.

The mixed usage of simple past tense and simple present tense really confuses me. Both the words
‘was’ and ‘reflects’ are referring to the outcome of the election, which impacts still remain. Therefore,
should not both words be using simple present tense or they both should be simple past tense if it is for the purpose of back shifting.

“The outcome of the recent general election was good for Singapore, and reflects a desire among Singaporeans for a new balance in politics, said Senior Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam on Sunday (July 19).”

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think the first part should also be in the simple present tense (outcome is good for Singapore) since it should still hold true now, as is the desire of Singaporeans for a new balance in politics. If it was something like "outcome was announced" which is a thing of the past, then the simple past tense would have been appropriate.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The outcome of a general election happens just once, at one specific point in time, so the simple past was used correctly.

DANAU

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Hi emsr2d2.

The second verb “reflect” is also referring to
the outcome of the election. Given that, should
it be “reflected” instead of “reflects”?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The second verb “reflect” is also referring to
the outcome of the election. Given that, should
it be “reflected” instead of “reflects”?
The past tense would make the statement apply to the past. The present simple tells us the desire is occurring in the present.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
An election is an event but the outcome of an election is not. It is the results. Results don't "happen". The perception of the results, whether good or not, should hold true until today since the Singapore election happened only last week.. That's why I said the simple past tense is appropriate. The perception of the results could not have been good last week and changed this week. What is true of "reflects" should also be true of "being good for Singapore".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.