Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
Thanks to those karate classes, I have finally learnt how to defend myself. Furthermore/by the way/also/(other choice?), my sensei introduced me to the fascinating Eastern cultures.

Generally, I know the difference between those options (I think). However, the sentence above has been killing me all day today. Does anybody want to be my savior, chiefs?

Perhaps:

I'm grateful to my sensei, who introduced me to those fascinating Eastern cultures.

It's a really abrupt transition, which is why it's so hard.

Perhaps:

The karate was my sensei's idea, so I have him to thank for that.

Thanks to those karate classes, I have finally learnt how to defend myself. Furthermore/by the way/also/(other choice?), my sensei introduced me to the fascinating Eastern cultures.

Generally, I know the difference between those options (I think). However, the sentence above has been killing me all day today. Does anybody want to be my savior, chiefs?

Try:

Thanks to those karate classes, I have finally learned how to defend myself. (The karate was my sensei's idea, so I have him to thank for that.)

Now it's perfect.
:)

That's not what I would use. How about in addition?
What do you mean by how about? You're not sure either?

I don't know why you think you need any version of "Furthermore/In addition etc".

Thanks to those classes, I can now defend myself. Thanks to my sensei, I've been introduced to fascinating Eastern cultures.

I actually like the repetition of "Thanks to" there.

I think I have realized that confuses me. Is furthermore used only when stating arguments?

I think I have realized that confuses me. Is furthermore used only when stating arguments?
No, not at all. However, it's useful when continuing with a list of things. You're just stating two facts and I don't think the extra words add anything useful.

Last edited:
Perhaps:

Thanks to those karate classes I can now defend myself. Thanks also to my sensei, who introduced me to karate (and other things about Eastern cultures).

You did include Other Choice as an option.
With all due respect, are you or are you not sure that in addition works here?

With all due respect, are you or are you not sure that in addition works here?
You are sounding abrasive again. 'With all due respect' very often suggests a lack of respect for the idea suggested. The fact that Tdol suggested 'in addition' should tell us that he thinks it would work - he would not have suggested it otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back