Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
================
The banker: I'm offering you the opportunity to walk out with the money.
James Bond: I'm giving you the opportunity to walk out with your life.
The banker: Looking at the present situation, as a banker, I have to say that the numbers are not on your side.

Does "that the numbers are not on your side" mean "that you don't have the control of the situation"? "Number" can mean "superiority" - so I guess it this way.

Source: James Bond: The World Is Not Enough (1999)
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/07c6194e-16c4-41ef-942f-fd6eac48c197

The banker believes his* odds of success are better than Bond's. *(I'm guessing that a gentleman like Bond wouldn't threaten a lady's life.)

Last edited:
Bankers calculate the likelihood of something happening. They have complex formulas to do this. The Banker has calculated that he has the advantage. However, he has not factored in the full impact of the James Bond factor and the audience know he is a dead man walking. Bond is not an algorithm, he's Bond, James Bond.

And he always gets the girl, which usually doesn't end well.

As with most things Bond, there's some word play here. If you watch the entire clip, you'll see that there are three men (counting the banker, but not the secretary) against Bond. So while they're discussing literal numbers regarding money, it's also a typical Bond pun about being outnumbered as well.

The scene is chock full of number puns. Earlier in the scene, when the secretary offers to let Bond check her accounting figures, Bond makes a double entendre regarding her physical figure.

Apparently, being outnumbered didn't make any difference. But of course it is James Bond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back