The Apostrophe Test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob_1993

Member Type
Student or Learner
I recently did the Apostrophe test and on receiving my results, I was presented with this:

Question #: 2: The peoples of the world must unite. This is correct.
User's answer: False
Correct answer: True
Additional Notes:

But, "people" is construed as both singular and plural, is it not?

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The sentence in question is grammatically correct as it stands, and would be equally so if 'people' were substituted for 'peoples'.

I trust that answers your question.

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
I recently did the Apostrophe test and on receiving my results, I was presented with this:

Question #: 2: The peoples of the world must unite. This is correct.
User's answer: False
Correct answer: True
Additional Notes:

But, "people" is construed as both singular and plural, is it not?

When you say "peoples" you are referring to the various kinds of people who live on the earth: the Norwegian people, the German people, the Chinese people, etc. Combine them and you get "peoples."

rob_1993

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thank you for responding.

So peoples is grammatically correct. However, what's the point in using peoples instead of people; what emphasis does it add?

Whilst reading articles in both The Times and The Independent (both of which I consider to be perfectly grammatically correct) I have seen: "the peoples of Australia"; "the people of the world"; "the people of England".

People & peoples seem to be used synonymously, is there any difference between them? Or perhaps a specific case where only one can be used?

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner

So peoples is grammatically correct. However, what's the point in using peoples instead of people; what emphasis does it add?

Whilst reading articles in both The Times and The Independent (both of which I consider to be perfectly grammatically correct) I have seen: "the peoples of Australia"; "the people of the world"; "the people of England".

People & peoples seem to be used synonymously, is there any difference between them? Or perhaps a specific case where only one can be used?

(Not a teacher)

I did a little searching on the internet, and it would seem that when talking about communities of people who share a common culture/history etc 'peoples' is more likely to be used. If you use 'people', it seems that you use it in a singular way - "This people have many useful artifacts to determine their history".

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

***NOT A TEACHER***There does seem to be a difference between the two words: (1) The peoples of Australia = all the different ethnic groups of that continent (I know next to nothing about Australia, but I understand that before the Europeans' arrival, there were various groups of people who had different languages, etc.). (2) "The people of the world" = the 7,000,000,000 human beings on Earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.