Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
There are five floors in a local shopping mall. I was in that shopping mall the other day. I was looking for a bathroom and I was in the fifth floor. I couldn’t find one and then I asked the stuff member there. He told me “The bathroom is underneath this floor; it’s in fourth floor.”

Please help me with a natural version.

Much appreciated.

I'd say: the toilet is one floor below, on the fourth floor.

Why do you call it a bathroom?

I don’t understand why you asked this question but I don’t think it’s wrong to use bathroom here while toilet means the thing you sit on to answer the call of nature.

Last edited by a moderator:
In BrE, a toilet is a room where you go to to ease yourself. The bowl which collects waste is called a water closet(w.c.). It"s also called a washroom/restroom. A bathroom is a room where you take a bath or shower, which is not usually found in a shopping mall.

Like tedmc, I assumed you wanted to use the toilet, as you can’t normally have a bath in a shopping mall.

(cross-posted)

Last edited:
In BrE, a toilet is a room where you go to to ease yourself. The bowl which collects waste is called a water closet(w.c.). It"s also called a washroom/restroom. A bathroom is a room where you take a bath or shower, which is not usually found in a shopping mall.
We don't call it a washroom or a restroom in BrE. If I were in a shopping mall, I'd ask "Where are the toilets?", "Where are the loos?" or "Where's the loo?" Some people still say "Where's the gents/ladies?" The toilets in public places were (and sometimes still are) frequently referred to as the "ladies" and the "gents".
The actual bowl/cistern part is rarely referred to in the home as the W.C. It's just the toilet or the loo. In some public places, the signage to the area you need might read "Toilets" or "WC/WCs".

We don't call it a washroom or a restroom in BrE. If I were in a shopping mall, I'd ask "Where are the toilets?", "Where are the loos?" or "Where's the loo?" Some people still say "Where's the gents/ladies?" The toilets in public places were (and sometimes still are) frequently referred to as the "ladies" and the "gents".
The actual bowl/cistern part is rarely referred to in the home as the W.C. It's just the toilet or the loo. In some public places, the signage to the area you need might read "Toilets" or "WC/WCs".
Is my italic sentence natural? Could you please help?

Also, "underneath" is not the correct preposition to use. You say something is underneath another when they are in contact with each other, as in a floor underneath/beneath a carpet. You cannot say one level of a building is "underneath" another level.

Last edited:
I'd say: the toilet is one floor below, on the fourth floor.

Why do you call it a bathroom?

It is very common in AmE to call the room containing a toilet the bathroom. Other terms used on this side of the pond are washroom and restroom, although the latter is not applied to a toilet in a private house. Terms rarely or never used in AmE include loo, bog and WC.

The restroom is one floor down.

I would never imagine the bowl itself was the "water closet." I assumed the fact that a small room had plumbing in it was the reason for saying water closet. Literally a closet that had water (sink and toilet) in it.

I would never imagine the bowl itself was the "water closet." I assumed the fact that a small room had plumbing in it was the reason for saying water closet. Literally a closet that had water (sink and toilet) in it.

Every dictionary I checked (admittedly I only looked at 3) does define it as the room itself. Google seems to suggest it referring to just the bowl itself is unique to the UK.

These are also known as half-baths in the US when speaking of floor layouts.

Back