Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Here the sentence: I hope ____(whoever/anyone) that was involved in that accident was all right.
I know "whoever" is to be used here, but I'm not clear why "anyone" is not acceptable in the sentence. Is it because "anyone" is directed to a group of known people, whereas "whoever" is used more for an unknow group of people? Or is it because "anyone" can't be followed by a subordinate clause?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Who told you that 'whoever' should be used here? "I hope whoever that was involved..." is wrong. It would be correct without 'that'.
If I had that choice, I'd go with 'anyone', even though it's still not ideal. It's not a good choice of alternatives.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'I hope anyone involved in that accident was all right.'
'That was' is omitted, is it OK?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

chance22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Who told you that 'whoever' should be used here? "I hope whoever that was involved..." is wrong. It would be correct without 'that'.
If I had that choice, I'd go with 'anyone', even though it's still not ideal. It's not a good choice of alternatives.
It's from an workbook on grammar. I guess the sentence as well as the key is not correctly provided, which makes me confused. Now it's clear. Thank you for the explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.