Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I have come across the following two sentences in the dictionary:You are not who I thought you were. He is not what he was five years ago. I'm quite puzzled by the difference between who and what used in the two sentences. Is there anybody who can solve my problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think "who" in the first sentence refers to the identity of the person or what he is called.
"That" in the second sentence refers to the position of the person in society e.g. the profession, influence, stature, etc.

I have come across the following two sentences in the dictionary*: [space] "You are not who I thought you were"; "He is not what he was five years ago".

I'm quite puzzled by the difference between "who" and "what" in the two sentences. Is there anybody who can solve my problem?
Please punctuate your sentences correctly.

* which dictionary?

I deleted 'Dear Sirs' from your post because no salutation is required and we are not all male.

I'll try to develop the answer given in post #2.

We use who to talk about the identity of somebody.
We use what to talk about the identity of something.

Here's an example: I'm a teacher. Now, is 'a teacher' somebody or something? Well, it depends on what I mean to say.

A teacher is who I am. = It's part of my identity as a person.
A teacher is what I am. = It's my position in relation to society.

Here's another pair of sentences that show the difference in meaning:

Q: Who is a teacher?
A: I am!

Q: What is a teacher?
A: A teacher is someone who teaches people, of course!

Last edited:
I think "who" in the first sentence refers to the identity of the person or what he is called.
"That" in the second sentence refers to the position of the person in society e.g. the profession, influence, stature, etc.
Yes. And either one can refer to the kind of person:

- He is not the generous person he used to be.
- She is not the reckless person she once was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back