Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

I wonder if the following two sentences are natural. Would native speakers use them?

1) The first three seasons each featured a wildcard show. Contestants who failed to make it to the finals were invited back to perform for another chance at a spot in the finals.
2) As western fashions changed, the basic cheongsam design changed too, introducing high-necked sleeveless dresses, bell-like sleeves, and the black lace frothing at the hem.

I think these two are good, but I'm not sure because I'm not a native speaker. They were from some Chinese-English websites.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
OK, but why did you use "the" before "black lace frothing"? Is it special in some way?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
OK, but why did you use "the" before "black lace frothing"? Is it special in some way?

I don't know. I didn't write them. I wrote them down many years ago. At that time, I tried to memorize more words and sentences to help me understand English.

Do you mean that the "the" is not necessary in "the black lace frothing"?

I'll use your versions because I ask you for your help here. Please enlighten.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you say "the black lace frothing," it means you assume readers are already familiar with it. Since you didn't use the for the other items in the series, you probably don't want to for the frothing. Remember parallelism.

Everything else is fine.

By the way, I've never seen the frothing used as a noun. But I like it. It's a good image.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

I don't know. I didn't write them. I wrote them down many years ago.
I'm pretty sure you know that we want this information in post #1 every time you quote text which is not your own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.