The garden was too big to find a restroom in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

angryinch

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The garden was too big to find a restroom in it.

The garden was too big to find a restroom in.

The garden was too big to find a restroom.

Which one is correct?

J

J&K Tutoring

Why would anyone be looking for a restroom in a garden? I think there must be some larger problem with this, but would need more context to understand.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I thought it is common for large gardens/parks to have public restrooms/toilets.

How about: The garden is too big to find the restroom (if there is one).

not a teacher

angryinch

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Why would anyone be looking for a restroom in a garden? I think there must be some larger problem with this, but would need more context to understand.

It was the garden of the Versailles Palace.
The garden of the Versailles Palace was too big to find a restroom. <- How about this one?

J

J&K Tutoring

I see now. As written, it sounds as if it was impossible to find a restroom because of the size of the garden. The restroom wouldn't be hard to find only because the garden was "too big". Better to say, 'The garden was so large that it was difficult to find a restroom in it.'

J

J&K Tutoring

Versailles Palace has many different gardens, and probably none of them have a restroom in it. Restrooms would be in some discreet place near or between the various gardens.

angryinch

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Versailles Palace has many different gardens, and probably none of them have a restroom in it. Restrooms would be in some discreet place near or between the various gardens.

Thank you so much!
the garden was so large that it was difficult to find a restroom nearby. <- Then how about this one? Is it correct?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How about referring to the time it took to find the restroom instead of the difficulty?

"The garden was so huge it took ages to find the restroom."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
(Grumpy old man's pet hates come to the surface) How about avoiding 'restroom' completely? Also 'bathroom', 'comfort station', 'powder room'. 'wash room' or any other of these twee terms.

I accept that 'lavatory', 'toilet' and 'WC' were also, in their day, euphemisms, but is it so necessary to pretend that we all, even monarchs and popes need to 'rest' or 'wash' or 'powder our noses' when everybody knows that our prime need is to empty our bladders and/or bowels?

I must stop now, as I need to go and shake hands with an old friend.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
(Grumpy old man's pet hates come to the surface) How about avoiding 'restroom' completely? Also 'bathroom', 'comfort station', 'powder room'. 'wash room' or any other of these twee terms.

I accept that 'lavatory', 'toilet' and 'WC' were also, in their day, euphemisms, but is it so necessary to pretend that we all, even monarchs and popes need to 'rest' or 'wash' or 'powder our noses' when everybody knows that our prime need is to empty our bladders and/or bowels?

Fine point! As a BrE speaker, I would never say "restroom". I'd have said "It took ages to find the toilet(s)" but I assumed the OP was perhaps planning to say it to an AmE speaker.

Some of my friends find it odd that I'm as forthright as I am about these things. I rarely say "Excuse me. I must go to the toilet" or anything similar. I say "Ooooooh, I really need a wee!!" I'm sure some of them think I'm 5 years old or I'm trying to shock but generally I just believe in saying what I mean.

angryinch

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea

Thank you so much for your opinion!:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.