The least I could do for my dead compatriarch ...

frindle2

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello. What does 'compatriarch' mean in the context below? Does 'compatriarch' mean the same thing as 'patriarch(the head of a family)?

(In the story, the speaker was planning to bring the dead captain's armor from the museum and sell it on the shadow market).
---------------------------------------------------------------
He licked his jutting teeth and put both hands over his heart. "That's where I come in. Yes, indeed, I was a true bosom friend of the dearly departed captain." He pretended to wipe a tear from his corner of his eye. "The least I could do for my dead compatriarch is to fetch up his armor and carry it home to his wife and children. "

Source: The Last Mapmaker by Christina Soontornvat

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Have you looked up the word "compatriarch" in some good online English dictionaries? I just Googled it and found out the definition in less than two seconds. (I wasn't familiar with the word until this thread.)

frindle2

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Have you looked up the word "compatriarch" in some good online English dictionaries? I just Googled it and found out the definition in less than two seconds. (I wasn't familiar with the word until this thread.)
Thank you for your reply. But I have looked up the word 'compatriarch' , but I couldn't find it. I've only found 'patriarch' instead. Does it mean the same?