Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Does it work to say "the less sense something makes"?

Is this okay?

The older I get, the less sense the world makes to me. Several years ago, when I was a teenager, I found some aspects of life strange and crazy but some other elements of life felt sensible, grounded in reason. I could hold on to those logical and more solid aspects and keep going. But now that I'm an adult, I feel like the whole and life are unfathomable.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The older I get, the less sense the world makes to me. Several years ago, when I was a teenager, I found some aspects of life strange and crazy but some other elements of life felt sensible, grounded in reason. I could hold on to those logical and more solid aspects and keep going. But now that I'm an adult, I feel like the whole world and life are unfathomable.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

But now that I am grown I feel that none of it makes any sense.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Perhaps:

But now that I am grown I feel that none of it makes any sense.
Thanks but I want to know if this is okay:

The older I get, the less sense the world makes to me. Several years ago, when I was a teenager, I found some aspects of life strange and crazy but some other elements of life felt sensible, grounded in reason. I could hold on to those logical and more solid aspects and keep going. But now that I'm an adult, I feel like the whole world and life are unfathomable.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@alpacinou The writer is saying he can't figure people out. No matter how hard he tries to do that there is much that doesn't make sense. And the older he gets rather than getting closer to figuring them out the opposite is true.
It starts off talking about life -- specifically humanity. He says that at least some of it made sense to him at one time, but now none of it does.

The phrase "the whole world and life" seems to be original (not that that's a bad thing). So what does "the whole world" mean there? People. And "life"? People again. The subject is life -- specifically humanity. But it ends with "and life" almost as if it's an afterthought. Except that is the subject -- the only subject. (I'm probably the only one with that opinion.)

Status
Not open for further replies.