The Microsoft Word file is marginalizing....

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I notice that when I use the Word file each time, they label words like "recognise", "unravelling", etc, incorrect spellings. I was infuriated last night when I copy-pasted the sentence written by a nice teacher here using "unraveling" and I wrote the following sentence:

The Microsoft Word file is exclusively marginalizing British spellings; which is quite weird a thing.

How would native speakers of English phrase the italic sentence?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I notice that when I use the Word file each time, they label words like "recognise", "unravelling", etc, incorrect spellings. I was infuriated last night when I copy-pasted the sentence written by a nice teacher here using "unraveling" and I wrote the following sentence:

The Microsoft Word file
It's not about an individual file. It's the application. Therefore, say "Microsoft Word".
is exclusively marginalizing British spellings
"Exclusively" is not the right word there. It suggests that MS Word is targeting British English specifically (and not other varieties). Also, the present simple would be a better tense there.
; which is
The semicolon is wrong there. Use a comma instead.
quite weird a thing.
That order might work in another (e.g. literary) context, but here, just stick with the standard "which is quite a weird thing" or you can just say "which is quite weird".
By the way, I think the real issue is that you installed American English as the default language in your system/application. You can always change that if you wish.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is the following sentence good now?

Microsoft Word is marginalizing British spellings, which is quite a weird thing.

Could you please tell me how you would express this idea?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
How is it marginalizing it?
It is biased against British spellings. How? when I type "recognise", "unravelling" and those British spellings, I see a red wave line under them.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
But did you read my comment above? I think you chose American English when you installed MS Word. You could have chosen another variety at the time, and you can still change it now if you wish.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would be astonished if there is not a setting to allow you to select the variety of English you want to use for your spellchecker.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Go to the 'Review' tab, then 'Language', then 'Set Proofing Language', then select 'English (United Kingdom)' from the drop-down list.