The more tender and juicier the meat is, the more grease/fat and saturated fat it has

Status
Not open for further replies.

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The more tender and juicier the meat is, the more grease/fat and saturated fat it has.

My teacher said that "grease" is wrong, and it should be "fat". However, my American friend said that he would use "grease" in this sentence. Could anyone tell me which word is really correct here? Is it hard for average native speakers to distinguish between "grease" and "fat"? Thanks!

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Grease is more colloquial and not appropriate here. I'd choose fat. Now you're faced with saying fat and saturated fat, which does not make sense as the first includes the second. You could write the more saturated and unsaturated fat or the more fat it has, including saturated fat.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Fat" as in total fat, and then "saturated fat" to denote a particularly "bad" kind of fat is the way that food labels read. So it doesn't seem that odd to me to speak of the two, even though the one is a subset of the other.

As for colloquial use, yes foods are sometimes referred to as "greasy," but when speaking of nutritional matters it is normal to talk about "fat." One might ask "how much fat is in these cookies," (and hear something like "12 grams"), but one wouldn't ask how much "grease" was in some sort of food.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"The more tender and juicier ​..." doesn't work. The word "more" is taken to apply to both the following adjectives so you end up with "more juicier" which is incorrect. Use "The more tender and juicy ...".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I wouldn't use grease for good quality meat- it is associated with poor quality food and car mechanics to me.

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
"The more tender and juicier ​..." doesn't work. The word "more" is taken to apply to both the following adjectives so you end up with "more juicier" which is incorrect. Use "The more tender and juicy ...".
How about this one?
The more tender and the juicier the meat is, the more fat and saturated fat it has.
It is because:
tender-more tender-most tender
juicy-juicier-juiciest

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Saturated fat is a type of the larger category of fats. The phrase fat and saturated fat reads like an editing error.

Status
Not open for further replies.