Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The Novavax COVID-19 vaccine is indicated for active immunization to prevent COVID-19 caused by SARS-CoV-2.

Source: Novavax COVID-19 vaccine - Wikipedia

Does "indicated" here mean "pointed out"? It doesn't look like so because it more likel;y means "approved (by FDA)". I am not sure. Because there is no such definition in dictionaries.
What does it mean?

I think it means that there are indications (signs/clues) that it can "actively immunise" (whatever that means) people against Covid-19.

Edit: This was my best guess when I wrote the post. Having Googled the meanings of "indicate" in medicine, I now know I wasn't right. Please see post #4 below.

Not a teacher (added by moderator Rover_KE)

According to Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, "indicate" also means "(formal) to give information in writing". Here are some further example sentences from the dictionary:
  1. You are allowed 20  kg of baggage unless indicated otherwise on your ticket.
  2. As indicated above, this chapter deals with the practical implications of the research.
  3. Please indicate clearly which colour you require.
So my understanding is there is some written information (maybe a label, or a statement, or a test report) showing the Novavax vaccine creates active immunization to prevent the SARS-CoV-2.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it means that at all. The words "indication" and "contra-indication" have very specific meanings in medicine. Here's one link I found by Googling "indicated medical definition". Here's another one.

Leo2020, welcome to the forum.

Please read this extract from the forum rules:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly in your posts.

Last edited:
I don't think it means that at all. The words "indication" and "contra-indication" have very specific meanings in medicine. Here's one link I found by Googling "indicated medical definition". Here's another one.

That definition - "in medicine, a condition which makes a particular treatment or procedure advisable" is close to the meaning of "approved (by FDA)" - because you make a drug advisable for FDA to approve it.

Leo2020, welcome to the forum.

Please read this extract from the forum rules:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly in your posts.
Thank you very much for the reminder. I will make sure I stick to that rule in my future posts.

That definition - "in medicine, a condition which makes a particular treatment or procedure advisable" is close to the meaning of "approved (by FDA)" - because you make a drug advisable for FDA to approve it.

Not really. Indication pertains to the reason for using a certain medicine. It's about what the drug is meant for.

Not really. Indication pertains to the reason for using a certain medicine. It's about what the drug is meant for.

I think the key is at the word advisable. If not advisable for FDA to approve, the drug would be practically meaningless in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back