Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

These examples are from Murphy's ''English Grammar in Use.'' It doesn't ask to change these forms into the singular. But I was wondering if my examples are correct. I changed them for practice.

1. Don't buy those apples. Buy the other ones.
2. Don't buy this apple. Buy the the other one.

3. My gloves are old. I am going to buy some new ones.
4. I coudn't change it.

5. Which keys are yours?

6. The ones on the table.

7. Which key is yours?

8. The one on the table.

There is a repeated word in sentence #2.

It's worth noting that #1 and #2 and fairly unnatural. I'd say either "Don't buy those apples. Buy these" (while indicating a different variety of apple), or "Don't buy those apples. Buy the others".

It's worth noting that #1 and #2 and fairly unnatural. I'd say either "Don't buy those apples. Buy these" (while indicating a different variety of apple), or "Don't buy those apples. Buy the others".

Do you use these ones and those ones together? In Murphy I read they are not usually used together.

The sentencees in bold are from the book. Sentences #2 were written by me. I was wondering if I could use ''the other one'' insead of '' the other ones?''
2. Don't buy this apple. Buy the the other one.

The [STRIKE]sentencees[/STRIKE] sentences in bold are from the book. The second sentences [STRIKE]#2[/STRIKE] were written by me. I was wondering if I could use ''the other one'' instead of "the other ones?''

2. Don't buy this apple. Buy the [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] other one.

Sentence 2 is grammatical (with the second "the" removed) but it doesn't mean the same as sentence 1.

Sentence 2 is grammatical (with the second "the" removed) but it doesn't mean the same as sentence 1.
What is the difference?

Are you suggesting that you don't understand the difference between a singular and a plural? I don't think that's true.

Do you use these ones and those ones together? In Murphy I read they are not usually used together.
I can see using them together:

- Those ones didn't fit, so I bought these ones.
- Should I give him these ones or those ones?
- I love these ones here, but I hate those ones there.

I don't understand #4: "I couldn't change it."

I never say these ones or those ones.

Are you suggesting that you don't understand the difference between a singular and a plural? I don't think that's true.
No, I thought there was another difference bretween them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back