Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Would you please correct the mistakes in this text? I wrote in in one go as an exercise.

Shortly after Ben reached the age of thirty-six, his father went to his room to talk with him. Ben sat at his laptop, polishing his poem for the umpteenth time. (He often spent the whole day writing and rewriting a poem, and still was not satisfied. He read once that perfection was usually a sign of a genius, so he indulged in revising his texts infinitely, feeling he was creating a masterpiece).

The room was dusty and untidy, crowded with books and Ben's rejected novels and poems. His father wanted to scold him for not cleaning the room. but knowing that his son would react with one of his hysterics, thought better of it. Ben stared at him through his thick glasses, angry that he was disturbed in his writing. His lean, sallow face and pallid skin didn't see the sun for days, and combined with his beard, evoked an image of a hostage.

"Mother and I discussed what to do with you," his father said, "and we agreed that something must be done." Ben's eyes widened in anger. He never liked changes and preferred for conditions and things to stay as they were. He even still used the same desk and chair he had used in the elementary school and slept in the same bed for more than 30 years.
His father stopped for a moment, looked at his clasped gnarled hands and said, "We decided that you can't stay here without paying a rent. It's not fair. You're thirty-six, Ben. You'd have your own home years ago." He saw that Ben's lips trembled, and he lifted his hand to calm him. "Please, listen to me. We don't throw you out. We'll give you enough time, but you have to understand us. Imagine how your mother feels when her friends ask her about you. They are laughing at her, Ben. She should be playing with her grandchildren, but instead she listens to questions like 'When is Ben's book finally coming out?' and then hears people scoffing behind her back. You have to find job. You must prove to everyone that you are a mature person and take care of your life."

"But who is going to give me job without any qualifications?" Ben threw up his hands in exasperation.
"Who's giving jobs to all those refugees? Syrians, Iraqis, Afghans, they don't even speak English and still work. This is your homeland, Ben. You can find work today if you want."

As his father closed the door behind him, Ben hit the desk with his fist. He was angry at himself. He couldn't blame his parents. He knew this moment would come one day. He should have been prepared for it. He picked up a phone and called his friend Paul and asked him if he could let him stay in for a couple of days until he found a better solution. Paul explained to him that he would gladly take him in, but his girlfriend was staying with him very often, and it would be rather cramped to have them all three in a one-room flat. But Ben should not despair because Paul has a solution for his problems. He has an uncle who is a farmer and needed labourers, especially now after the UK had left the EU and many east Europeans had returned to their homelands. Ben could probably start tomorrow if he wanted.

"Have you ever been there," Ben asked.
"Oh, many times," Paul replied. "You're going to love it there. It's quiet. No traffic, no pollution, no crowds or noise. You hear birds singing in front your window."
"But what kind of work am I going to do?" asked Ben
"Nothing special, cleaning the pigsty and the cowshed, working in the field, spreading fertilisers and manure, cutting trees, helping with the cheese making, picking vegetables..."

After they finished the conversation, Ben opened a Word document and wrote the title of his poem "The Poet in a Pigsty" and the verses poured out of him.

They stare at me with their large, dark eyes
Wondering who I am
A bespectacled creature with a red beard and a shovel
Am I their fodder, a brother or a clumsy labourer

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Would you please correct the mistakes in this text? I wrote [STRIKE] in [/STRIKE] it in one go as an exercise.

Shortly after Ben reached the age of thirty-six, his father went to his room to talk with him. Ben sat at his laptop, polishing his poem for the umpteenth time. (He often spent the whole day writing and rewriting a poem, and still was not satisfied. He read once that perfection was usually a sign of a genius, so he indulged in revising his texts infinitely, feeling he was creating a masterpiece).

The room was dusty and untidy, crowded with books and Ben's rejected novels and poems. His father wanted to scold him for not cleaning the room, but knowing that his son would react with one of his hysterics, thought better of it. Ben stared at him through his thick glasses, angry that he was disturbed in his writing. His lean, sallow face and pallid skin [STRIKE] didn't [/STRIKE] hadn’t see the sun for days, and combined with his beard, evoked an image of a hostage.

"Mother and I have been discussing [STRIKE] ed [/STRIKE] what to do with you," his father said, "and we (both) agreed that something must be done." Ben's eyes widened in anger. He never liked changes and preferred for conditions and things to stay as they were. He even still used the same desk and chair he had used in [STRIKE] the [/STRIKE] elementary school and slept in the same bed for more than 30 years.
His father stopped for a moment, looked at his clasped gnarled hands and said, "We decided that you can't stay here without paying [STRIKE] a [/STRIKE] rent. It's not fair. You're thirty-six, Ben. You [STRIKE] 'd [/STRIKE] should have had your own home years ago." He saw that Ben's lips trembled, and he lifted his hand to calm him. "Please, listen to me. We don't want to throw you out. We'll give you enough time, but you have to understand us. Imagine how your mother feels when her friends ask her about you. They are laughing at her, Ben. She should be playing with her grandchildren, but instead she listens to questions like 'When is Ben's book finally coming out?' and then hears people scoffing behind her back. You have to find job. You must prove to everyone that you are a mature person and can take care of yourself”. [STRIKE] life." [/STRIKE]

"But who is going to give me a job without any qualifications?" Ben threw up his hands in exasperation.
"Who's giving jobs to all those refugees? Syrians, Iraqis, Afghans, they don't even speak English and can still find work. This is your homeland, Ben. You can find work today if you want."

As his father closed the door behind him, Ben hit the desk with his fist. He was angry at himself. He couldn't blame his parents. He knew this moment would come one day. He should have been prepared for it. He picked up a phone and called his friend Paul and asked him if he could let him stay [STRIKE] in [/STRIKE] with him for a couple of days until he found a better solution. Paul explained to him that he would gladly take him in, but his girlfriend was staying with him very often, and it would be rather cramped to have [STRIKE] them [/STRIKE] all three living in a one-room flat. But he told him [STRIKE] Ben [/STRIKE] he should not despair because [STRIKE] Paul has [/STRIKE] he had a solution for his problems. He has an uncle who is a farmer and needed labourers, especially now after the UK had left the EU and many east Europeans had returned to their homelands. Ben could probably start tomorrow if he wanted.

"Have you ever been there?" Ben asked.
"Oh, many times," Paul replied. "You're going to love it there. It's quiet - no traffic, no pollution, no crowds or noise. You hear birds singing in front your window."
"But what kind of work am I going to do?" asked Ben.
"Nothing special, cleaning the pigsty and the cowshed, working in the field, spreading fertilisers and manure, cutting trees, helping with the cheese making, picking vegetables..."

After they finished the conversation, Ben opened a Word document and wrote the title of [STRIKE] his [/STRIKE] a new poem "The Poet in a Pigsty" and the verses poured out of him.

They stare at me with their large, dark eyes
Wondering who I am
A bespectacled creature with a red beard and a shovel
Am I their fodder, a brother or a clumsy labourer

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The word you're looking for, Bassim, is perfectionism.

Try:

He had read somewhere that perfectionism is a sign of genius.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

but knowing that his son would throw a fit ....

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

Ben stared at him through the thick lenses of his glasses, irritated at being interrupted.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think Ben's a very good poet.
;-)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Your mother and I discussed what to do with you," he said, "and we agreed that something must be done."

I don't know why teechar inserted "both" in there. It's perfect! (You could say you agree with yourself, and I have done that for humorous effect.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Bassim, nine out of ten times I come up with the title after I have written the poem. So what comes first is last. (Or is it the other way around? ;-) )

You do know that I'm a writer of poetry, don't you. (My Facebook nickname is Ron the Poet.)

Oh my dear, perfection is oh so very elusive.
The perfect belong to a club that is exclusive.
:-D

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Tarheel,

I know that you write poetry, but I don't have Facebook. I write poetry too, but not now because I feel my language is limited. When I struggle to find what word to use, I can't write freely, so I think it is better if I focus on other things. I read poetry sometimes in magazines and in books, but I think that poetry today has become literature for the chosen few. Many poets live in their little world without any contact with ordinary people, and therefore they are unable to write poetry for ordinary people. Poetry has become almost a university subject for a few professors, so called "poets" and their colleagues who can read to each other their "masterpieces" and admire them ad nauseam. A poem should be understood and felt after the first reading, but to understand their poems you need to search on the internet to find out all hidden meanings and symbols, known only to them and their friends. Their poems leave me unaffected. There is so much suffering in the world, so many injustices and the need for the truth, but these "poets" are occupied with the abstract thoughts. I call them cowards. I know that in my homeland and other communist countries some poets ended up in prisons because they fought against the oppression and for the truth, but I am wondering what the poets in the UK, US and other countries are fighting for.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A poem is a way to express your thoughts in an entertaining and memorable way. It's also a way to show how clever you are.
:)

The couplets thread was started about ten years ago by RonBee (me).

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

He didn't like change and always wanted things to stay the same as before.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You have to find job.

Somebody left an article out.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
It should be "You have to find a job".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. Or:

You have to get a job.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

He called his friend Paul and asked if he could stay with him for a couple of days until he figured out what to do.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

You hear birds singing outside your window.

And:

fertilizer and manure (not necessarily two different things)

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I used these two words to describe two different substances. "Fertilisers" are mostly factory made, while "manure" comes from animals.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think I would buy fertilizer if I had plenty of manure.

(If manure is not fertilizer what is it?)

We don't normally pluralize fertilizer. However, you could say (for example): "I bought several bags of fertilizer."

Status
Not open for further replies.