Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi teachers.

I read something online about a Chinese poet today. I was surprised to learn that he died in his 20s. I wonder if I can say "The poet passed over early in life".

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Some people use passed as a euphemism for "died". Passed over is one I haven't heard.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I wouldn't understand the meaning of passed over without context. With passed away, I would.

Anyway, use died.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It can be used to mean "die". For example, "pass over" is used that way in the Wiccan tradition. It suggests that someone has crossed (passed over) the threshold from their corporeal/earthly life to the afterlife.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I know. But I wonder if the sentence is natural in some formal context?

"Passed over" is used like this:

Bob was passed over for a promotion.

You can use died or passed away whether it's formal or informal.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Some people use passed as a euphemism for "died". Passed over is one I haven't heard.

I have heard passed over used occasionally in BrE. Passed away is much more common, and passed is used today, though I don't remember hearing it used when I was young.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
And the same to all. Normally, Tokyo has decorations for every festival- Christmas comes down on Boxing Day to make way for New Year stuff. This year, in the small area of my neighbourhood that I walk around for exercise, I haven't seen anything at all for Easter. I didn't realise when it was till I turned on my computer.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Normally, Tokyo has decorations for every festival ….
My wife and I were particularly struck by the Colonel Sanders statues dressed in Santa Claus suits in front of KFC stores when we visited one November. I never saw Jesus dressed that way, but I understand that exists, too.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
That's clever marketing- selling roast chickens for Christmas in a place where many don't have ovens. It also explains what Santa does the rest of the year.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's clever marketing- selling roast chickens for Christmas in a place where many don't have ovens. It also explains what Santa does the rest of the year.
It's fried chicken but yes, "Santa" Sanders is the result of a brilliant advertising campaign. KFC was losing heavily after investing heavily in Japan. Christmas was approaching, and some genius came up with an ad showing a happy American family at the dinner table, with a decorated tree in the background, tucking into their traditional Christmas dinner — a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken.* The campaign was a huge hit. Today, Japanese families have to order weeks in advance to be sure they get their Christmas fried chicken.

*In case it isn't clear to learners, Kentucky Fried Chicken has never been a traditional Christmas meal in the United States. I'm sure a few families have it, but their friends probably shake their heads and feel sorry for them for having such poor fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.