English Teacher
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,
Would tell me please what that means, seems like something is missing? The automatic subtitles suggest "of", which would make sense, but he doesn't utter that even slightly.

Now, of course the most powerful thing about rap music is the interaction between two main rhythms: the vocal rhythm - the cadence, the flow; and the rhythm the instrumental - the music, the beat.

(4:09)

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I think he was just thinking faster than he talked. He probably meant "and the [musical] rhythm[,] the instrumental [part]".

I can understand that a learner may think of a native speaker as an expert in his field who'll never make mistakes, especially in such minor matters, like an experienced surgeon stitching up an incision after surgery, which he'll almost always do well. But it's a language and this happens with every language. I'm sure you've come across native Ukrainian speakers making a slip of the tongue. This is the same.

güey

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I think he was just thinking faster than he talked. He probably meant "and the [musical] rhythm[,] the instrumental [part]".
I believe he probably wanted to say: the vocal rhythm <...> and the instrumental rhythm <...>

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
That's what I'm saying too.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
He says the rhythm of the instrumental. You can't make out the of, but it's there.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Like guey, it sounds to me like "the rhythm the instrumental" without even a pause.

Status
Not open for further replies.