The stereotype of the absent-minded professor underscores a difference many people be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tae-Bbong-E

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hi

I have seen the below sentence from a test.

The stereotype of the absent-minded professor underscores a difference many people believe exists between remembering and thinking.

As far as I know, if relative pronoun takes nominative case in the subordinate clause, this cannot be elided.
For example)
I like my smart phone which has various functions. (O)
I like my smart phone (which-omitted) has various functions. (X)

But the person who made explained as follows.
The stereotype of the absent-minded professor underscores a difference (which-omitted) many people believe exists between remembering and thinking.
Is it right?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The sentence is correct and natural as written.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi

I saw the below sentence on a test.

The stereotype of the absent-minded professor underscores a difference many people believe exists between remembering and thinking.

As far as I know, if a relative pronoun takes the nominative case in the subordinate clause, this cannot be elided.
For example:
I like my smart phone, which has various functions. (O) :tick:
I like my smart phone (which-omitted) has various functions. (X) :cross:

But the person who made explained as follows. :?:
The stereotype of the absent-minded professor underscores a difference (which-omitted) many people believe exists between remembering and thinking.
Is it right?

Your alternative is OK, but so is the original.

~R

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi,
I [STRIKE]have seen[/STRIKE] found the [STRIKE]below[/STRIKE] sentence below [STRIKE]from[/STRIKE] in a test.
As far as I know, if a relative pronoun takes the nominative case in [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a subordinate clause, [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] it cannot be omitted. [STRIKE]elided.[/STRIKE]
That's right, but in the above example, "which" is an object (not subject) pronoun.

For example
I like my smart phone which has various functions. (O)
I like my smart phone (which-omitted) has various functions. (X)
That second sentence is wrong; "which" cannot be omitted, because it is a subject pronoun (nominative case).

But the person who [STRIKE]made[/STRIKE] that sentence explained it as follows.
Is it right?
Yes, that is correct. See above.

Tae-Bbong-E

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hi all

Could you explain why the below sentence is possible?

I thought the way to compose the sentence as follows.
1. The stereotype of the absent-minded professor(Subject) underscores(Verb) a difference(Object)
+
2. Many people believe (that) a difference exists between remembering and thinking.

The stereotype of the absent-minded professor underscores a difference many people believe (that) a difference exists between remembering and thinking.
---> The stereotype of the absent-minded professor underscores a difference many people believe (that) <which> exists between remembering and thinking.
: I think <which> is nominative case.

---> The stereotype of the absent-minded professor underscores a difference <which> many people believe (that) exists between remembering and thinking.
: Wh-movement can be applied to <which>. So <which> is followed by "many people (that) exists ~~~"

AM I wrong?

Otherwise do you guys see the original sentence as below?
The stereotype of the absent-minded professor underscores (that) <a difference (which-omitted) many people believe>(Subject) exists(Verb) between remembering and thinking.
In that case, which can be omitted as an object pronoun, right?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The stereotype of the absentminded professor underscores a difference many people believe exists between remembering and thinking.

The underlined part is a noun phrase that is the object of underscores.

Status
Not open for further replies.