Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
What is the English for the third part of a month (i.e. 20th through 29th)? Is it correct to say "the 20s of a month"?

Thanks.

No, that would be incorrect to say "the 20's..."
There isn't (to my knowledge) a word or phrase that expresses the third week of the month other than simply saying "the third week of the month".
In business, you will often hear people referring to a week of the year by its number (there are 52 :)). Today, we begin week 2 of 2012.
Week Numbers for 2012

I think the closest there is is early, mid and late January.

not a teacher

What is the English for the third part of a month (i.e. 20th through 29th)? Is it correct to say "the 20s of a month"?

Thanks.

[not a teacher]

Although valid (and you would be perfectly understood), I've never heard anyone refer specifically to the "third part" of a month. I think it would be understood if you used "the last third of the month", though I think it's more likely you'd hear "that last part of the month".

Slightly off-topic: I often hear my wife say "He's in his lower | upper 30's." (refering to age) when she actually means "He's in his early | late 30's". Always cracks me up* :)

*The funny part is that "upper" followed by a number range typically means temperature.

It is typical to go by weeks, so there is no word for a 10 day period.

We might say "the third week of January" or "the week of the 16th" (naming the Monday starting the business week.)

Well, then, what about "third decade of the month"?

No. Where does this need to divide a month into 10-day periods come from?

This is typical of Russia.

Interesting. I'm afraid there is no term in English. I would go with the suggestion given above, to say the "last third" of the month.

This is typical [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] in Russia.

[not a teacher]

Or even, "This is common in Russia."

"typical of" implies something new, but expected. For example, "John was late to the meeting, but this is typical of him [because he's always running late]."

Nope. A 'decade' is 10 years. If you said 'the third decade of the month' the listener would assume either that you didn't know the meaning of 'decade' or (in the right - jokey - circumstances) that you meant the last part of the month went r e a l l y slowly - maybe because you were waiting for payday;-)

b

A decade is specifically a period of ten years. It would be impossible to fit a decade into a month! As someone else said, we don't generally divide a month into thirds. We might divide it into weeks, but of course there is only an exact number of weeks in a month in February in non-leap-years, so even dividing it into weeks isn't very helpful most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back