The United Nations was founded after World War II...

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelsrolls

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hello,

The United Nations was founded after World War II in order to preserve international peace and security, prevent wars which bring great sorrow to humanity from happening once again and reestablish the climate of peace and trust.

In the present day, effective cooperation is greatly needed in order to find common solutions to global problems of our age. The United Nations is the only universal forum where this cooperation is carried out on a solid legitimate ground with the widest participation. The United Nations undertakes an extremely broad range of important tasks such as the prevention of conflicts, the establishment and preservation of peace, and the fight against terrorism and climate change.

The direction and nature of international developments are increasing the effectiveness of Turkey with every passing day. Correspondingly, the role Turkey play in the United Nations has become more active. Being one of the founding members of the UN, Turkey engages in varies activities ranging from peacekeeping to humanitarian aid, from mediation to technical cooperation and is doing its best to contribute. Turkey offers its compulsory and voluntary contributions to the UN on a regular basis. Turkey also supports and closely follows the UN’s on-going reform efforts.

The text above is my translation of a sample text retrieved from the Turkish Foreign Ministry's entrance examination. Can you please check the English?

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about the League of Nations?

angelsrolls

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Thank you for your suggestion, Tdol. The United Nations was founded in place of the League of Nations. My text is about the United Nations.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Can you see what is wrong with this:

prevent wars which bring great sorrow to humanity from happening once again

angelsrolls

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I’m afraid not. Is the problem with the noun phrase “wars which bring great sorrow to humanity”? Should I briefly say ‘tragic wars’?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
No. All wars cause sorrow. You should put commas around which bring great sorrow to humanity. If you don't you imply that some wars cause sorrow but others don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.