Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
Which adjective is more natural for introducing a new person in a scene? For example, in this sentence:

She saw a woman approaching. The unknown/strange woman had blonde hair and blue eyes.

Note: OK, I know that, in this specific case, I could also say a woman with blonde hair and blue eyes, but that would sound confusing: She saw a woman with blonde hair and blue eyes approaching??? (Who is approaching the woman or the eyes? 😅)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Is this passage really from your novel? Or have you made it up just for us? The way you've written it as two short sentences, with the repetition of woman, sounds very stilted.

She saw a strange woman approaching, with blonde hair and blue eyes.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
1. Is this passage really from your novel? Or have you made it up just for us? The way you've written it as two short sentences, with the repetition of woman, sounds very stilted.

2. She saw a strange woman approaching, with blonde hair and blue eyes.
1. Well, usually, I give you simplified forms of what I want to write. If I gave you the exact same sentences, I'd have spoiled 80% of the book by now. 😅

2. Are you sure this isn't confusing too? Doesn't it sound as if blonde hair and blue eyes were tools which the first female (she) used to see the second female (woman)?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
2. Are you sure this isn't confusing too? Doesn't it sound as if blonde hair and blue eyes were tools which the first female (she) used to see the second female (woman)?
No native speaker would interpret it in that way.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
No native speaker would interpret it in that way.
OK, I'll use that then. So, are the adjectives unknown/strange a wrong choice when describing a person whose name hasn't been mentioned yet?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
She saw a blonde, blue-eyed woman she didn't recognise approaching.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
She saw a blonde, blue-eyed woman she didn't recognise approaching.
OK, but in other similar sentences, where I also mention the length of the hair (long/short hair), I cannot use that.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You cannot use what?

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You did not mention the length of her hair in the original sentence, so nobody added it to the revisions.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We're not psychic, 99bottles. When you give us a sentence, we make grammatical revisions (or those that make it more natural) while sticking as closely as possible to the original concept. We don't tend to include information you didn't give us in the first place. If you want to write a sentence that includes the length of her hair, please start a new thread.

Reactions: 5jj

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
You did not mention the length of her hair in the original sentence, so nobody added it to the revisions.
I know. In Post #7, someone suggested something, and I was like, 'OK, but the problem is that there are many similar sentences in my manuscript, and some of them also include hair length. So, supposing the original sentence included hair length, how should I write it?'

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Which adjective is more natural for introducing a new person in a scene? For example, in this sentence:

She saw a woman approaching. The unknown/strange woman had blonde hair and blue eyes.

Note: OK, I know that, in this specific case, I could also say a woman with blonde hair and blue eyes, but that would sound confusing: She saw a woman with blonde hair and blue eyes approaching??? (Who is approaching the woman or the eyes? 😅)
Well, was she unknown or strange or both (use a comma). And I would find it difficult to determine one's eye color as they approached.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I just asked you to start a new thread, suggesting your own sentence that includes hair length.

Reactions: 5jj

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
I just asked you to start a new thread, suggesting your own sentence that includes hair length.
Sorry. I replied to the post above yours before I saw yours. I'll start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.