Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What are these things on window called?

How can I describe the light in that is on the floor?

12323.jpg

Is this correct?

Jane hauled herself out of the bed and stumbled to the kitchen. Midday sunlight spilled on the kitchen floor through the wooden grills on the window. The parquet floor was splashed with strips and circles of light in neat patterns. She would have enjoyed ordinary things like that a month ago. Perhaps she would have taken a photo and sent it for her niece. But now everything felt dull. She could no longer revel in the simple joys of life. She'd forgotten how to do that. She fished out a bottle of ​Chardonnay from the cabinet. The drink looked pale to her. It tasted insipid too. She spitted it out in the sink and headed out.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
1 Glass safety stickers

2 Yes, but I would say spat it out.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
1 Glass safety stickers

2 Yes, but I would say spat it out.

You mean it should be like this?

Jane hauled herself out of the bed and stumbled to the kitchen. Midday sunlight spilled on the kitchen floor through safety stickers on the window. The parquet floor was splashed with strips and circles of light in neat patterns. She would have enjoyed ordinary things like that a month ago. Perhaps she would have taken a photo and sent it for her niece. But now everything felt dull. She could no longer revel in the simple joys of life. She'd forgotten how to do that. She fished out a bottle of ​Chardonnay from the cabinet. The drink looked pale to her. It tasted insipid too. She spat it out in the sink and headed out.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
They don't look like stickers to me. They appear three-dimensional as they look different when viewed from different angles. They are timber slats or louvres fixed at an angle, which serve as a visual screen and sunshade. Their shadows criss-cross with the shadows of the open horizontal treads of the staircase forming a chequered pattern on the floor.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The vertical strips of sunlight on the floor are clearly coming from the wooden louvre blinds on the window. I can't work out what's causing the circular spots of light on the floor. I guess there must be something above the staircase that we can't see.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The vertical strips of sunlight on the floor are clearly coming from the wooden louvre blinds on the window. I can't work out what's causing the circular spots of light on the floor. I guess there must be something above the staircase that we can't see.

Is this correct?

Jane hauled herself out of the bed and stumbled to the kitchen. Midday sunlight spilled on the kitchen floor through wooden louvre blinds. The parquet floor was splashed with vertical strips and circles of light in neat patterns. She would have enjoyed ordinary things like that a month ago. Perhaps she would have taken a photo and sent it for her niece. But now everything felt dull. She could no longer revel in the simple joys of life. She'd forgotten how to do that. She fished out a bottle of Chardonnay from the cabinet. The drink looked pale to her. It tasted insipid too. She spat it out in the sink and headed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.