Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Hello! I would lile to ask whether or not the usage of the word deadbeat here is correct

While scrolling on reddit, I saw a post about a young millionare. The topic revolves around how he became extremely rich and why he is now hated by thousands of people on the internet. This piqued my interest and decided to read some of the comments under the post. A lot of people said he became full of himself and his exaggerated sense of self-worth is insufferable. Others say they hate him because he once said that the things he learned from school did not help him become who he is right now. So, while reading through all of those. I saw a comment that says " making fun of someone who is arrogant isn't wrong. They act like a clown in a deadbeat-circus so they deserve whatever treatment they would receive"

I love learning new words so I decided to google it and from what I've seen, the word deadbeat usually refers to a person, but im not entirely sure if the usage of it is correct in the context I've provided. I'm not a native english speaker so I want this cleared up. If what is written in the context is correct, can someone please explain why and give me another example? I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Can you give us the link to where you found it please?

Yb167

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Can you give us the link to where you found it pleas
I would love to, but unfortunately, I can no longer find the post again.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The dictionary definition of deadbeat is an idle, feckless person. But, at least in my neck of the woods, a deadbeat is someone who habitually fails to pay his debts. Often it is applied to divorced or separated fathers who fall behind in their child support payments. We call them deadbeat dads.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's not commonly used in British English so I don't have a good sense of the use of the word, but yes it seems to have been used incorrectly here. The simile 'like a clown in a deadbeat circus' doesn't make much sense to me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Often it is applied to divorced or separated fathers who fall behind in their child support payments. We call them deadbeat dads.
Off-topic: Out of curiosity, what's the term for divorced or separated mothers who don't keep up with child support payments?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not common enough to merit a term. Child support doesn't usually flow that way.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Two things. One, you don't want to clear things up. You want an explanation. Two, is Reddit worth it?

Yb167

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
You're right, but this doesn't answer my question and, with all due respect, I posted here so I can learn. Not to get asked whether or not reddit is worth it.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm sorry. I won't ask any more questions.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It works for me in AmE.

There are two interpretations which make it work, in my opinion. One is that the entire circus is composed of deadbeats. The other involves the 2nd adjective definition offered by Webster.

Using that definition, the excitement meter of a deadbeat circus would barely register any movement (excitement). It's almost a synonym for 'lackluster'.

See some of the example sentences offered on that page, specifically the one about a 'deadbeat response'.
And coming off a deadbeat response to the Black Lives Matter movement in 2020, Manfred should not be looking for any more rakes to step on. —Anthony Witrado, Forbes, 27 Oct. 2021

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't see how the metaphor of low-intensity oscillation can be applied to someone with an insufferably exaggerated sense of self-worth.