Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
I think that camps and camping are an attempt to feel close to nature.

Is are an attempt right in this case? If it's not, how should I rewrite this sentence?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not sure what difference you see between camps and camping. Camps (or campsites) are where people go when they go camping. They're so closely connected that it seems odd to use them as two separate examples of something.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Usually in Canada a rustic dwelling in or near the wilderness (what the Russians call a dacha) is called a cottage, but in some Canadian dialects it's called a camp.

Jemima23

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I'm not sure what difference you see between camps and camping. Camps (or campsites) are where people go when they go camping. They're so closely connected that it seems odd to use them as two separate examples of something.
I agree. 99bottles could instead write something like "camping and hiking".

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
I thought camping is used when staying in tents whereas camps are organized facilities. Have I got it wrong?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think you have it right. The usage of camp as a synonym for cottage is probably confined to some parts of Canada

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
I think you have it right. The usage of camp as a synonym for cottage is probably confined to some parts of Canada
So, is it OK to say camps and camping are an attempt?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You just mean 'camping', not 'camps'. It's the activity that you're talking about.

Camping is an attempt ...

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
You just mean 'camping', not 'camps'. It's the activity that you're talking about.

No, I want to mean both. Camping is referring to tents. In camp, kids stay in cabins.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
When I was a boy scout, I used to go on annual camp. We slept in tents.

The difference you feel between camps and camping is just not obvious to many British people.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
When I was a boy scout, I used to go on annual camp. We slept in tents.

The difference you feel between camps and camping is just not obvious to many British people.
Don't you know what a summer camp for children looks like nowadays?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have read about them. They are not a major part of childhood in England. That is why I said "The difference you feel between camps and camping is just not obvious to many British people".

Last edited:

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
I have read about them. They are not a major part of childhood in England. That is why I said "The difference you feel between camps and camping is just not obvious to many British people".
So, if I write a story that takes place in a modern camp (cabins, facilities and all) and someone in there says 'Camping is an attempt to feel close to nature,' won't it confuse the reader? (Because camping is referring to tents whereas the premises of the story are in a modern camp with cabins.)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

No, I want to mean both. Camping is referring to tents. In camp, kids stay in cabins.

Well, I don't quite understand what you mean by 'camps', but in any case it doesn't make sense to say that a thing is an attempt. An action, or an activity (such as camping), can be an attempt, but a thing (such as a camp) can't.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
Well, I don't quite understand what you mean by 'camps'.
THIS is camp.

THIS is camping.

Isn't it confusing for the reader if I use just the word camping when I actually talk about something different?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
THIS is camp.

THIS is camping.
To some people, not to others. If you want your meaning to be clear to all speakers of BrE and NAmeE, you'll need to say something like: I think that going to summer camps and going camping are attempts to get close to nature. However, I think that most young people who go to summer camps go for the fun and the activities with other young people more than for the idea of getting close to nature.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
To some people, not to others. If you want your meaning to be clear to all speakers of BrE and NAmeE, you'll need to say something like: I think that going to summer camps and going camping are attempts to get close to nature. However, I think that most young people who go to summer camps go for the fun and the activities with other young people more than for the idea of getting close to nature.
How about this: People go to camps in an attempt to....

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What is the second half of your sentence?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Well, it's grammatical but, as I suggested in post #16, I don't think it's true. Still, that's just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.