Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does "This is v interesting" mena "This is very interesting"? Is such usage popular on Internet?

------------------------
New Scientist liked
Penny Sarchet 2h
This is v interesting. It estimates that UK confirmed cases represent between 3.1 to 7.7% of total. If accurate, that would mean between 1.5 and 3.9 million #COVID19 cases so far in the UK

You never know what you're going to see on the internet. In any case, it is clear what is meant there. (I don't recommend copying that usage though.)

You can only use up to 288 characters in a tweet. They are a poor place to go to look for proper grammar and usage. It's quite common to cut corners and abbreviate where one normally wouldn't.

I would say it's used pretty much everywhere in casual informal writing - texts, emails, WhatsApp messages, tweets etc. I use it all the time. When I was at school, it was commonly used by teachers in the comments on homework. I remember being delighted when my English teacher handed back a poem I had written, with "V v good" written in red at the bottom.

I would say that v for very is common in all forms of informal written communication.
I've only ever seen it in those Bridget Jones books.

I would say it's used pretty much everywhere in casual informal writing - texts, emails, WhatsApp messages, tweets etc. I use it all the time. When I was at school, it was commonly used by teachers in the comments on homework. I remember being delighted when my English teacher handed back a poem I had written, with "V v good" written in red at the bottom.
See #8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back