Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

Is there any difference in meaning between "it" and "this" and "that"? I know that "this" is used to point to something near you while "that" is used to point to something far away.
1. "Is this your book?"
2. "Is it your book?"
3. "Is that your book?"
4. "Is this your mother?"
5. "Is it your mother?"
6. "Is that your mother?"

Hello.

Is there any difference in meaning between "it" and "this" and "that"? I know that "this" is used to point to something near you while "that" is used to point to something far away.
1. "Is this your book?" The book is probably very close by, either in someone's hand or they're pointing at it.
2. "Is it your book?" This would work after a specific book has already been mentioned.
3. "Is that your book?" The speaker could be pointing at a book, either close at hand or at least somewhere in sight. However, it could also be used to refer back to a book already mentioned.
4. "Is this your mother?" This might be said if the speaker were looking at a photograph of a woman. It could also be said when the (supposed) mother is in the same room as the speaker and the listener, and the woman is close by. It's not very likely, though, as the mother would find it odd to be spoken about while she's in earshot.
5. "Is it your mother?" I can't think of a particularly natural context for this.
6. "Is that your mother?" Again, it could be said when looking at a photograph, or if the woman in question is somewhere visible but not particularly close by.

You have the right idea. See above.

You have the right idea. See above.
In this scene which starts at 2:39 Robert Deniro says "Is it empty?" It is not wrong to use "this" instead of "it" here, is it? The difference seems to be easy but in some examples it is not always quite clear.
https://youtu.be/BuLM_C64Xhg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back