Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
[From a Youtube video]

Oslo, Norway 🇳🇴- Summer Walk 2022 - 4K/60fps HDR - Walking Tour

**This Video Vlog is Made to show the city and the environment, if you are present on this video and you don't want to be please contact me or comment on this video and i will make sure that you are not on this video anymore.**

(Source)
----
Me: Should it be "was"?

Friend: It doesn't have to be "was". "Is made for" often is present tense as in the song "these boots are made for walking". Also, doesn't apply just to "made", e.g. "this book is written for people like us."

Me: But didn't "made" happen in the past?

Friend: Yes, but we can also talk about the constitution of something which is still true in the present. "This jam is made from strawberries." Of course you could say it was made from strawberries and that'd also be true, but its makeup hasn't changed. "This washing machine is dented." Actually the washing machine was dented in the past, but we can still talk about it being that way now.

Me: Some but not all participles can describe an aspect of a thing almost like adjectives do. So I would say play safe and use the past tense.

Friend: It's not "some but not all participles", it's more like "some but not all interpretations describe". Made, dented, written have all shown how both ways work because participles have two "sides" (a more verbal one and a more adjectival one).
---

If you don't mind, I would like to hear your opinions about this question. :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If you don't mind, I would like to hear your opinions about this question. :)
I think you worry far too much about trivial points that do not affect understanding at all.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
So, for this question, both "is made" and "was made" work, and "made" in the former is more like an adjective while "made" in the latter, a passive verb. That's how I understand it for now.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I can't see your post, probus. 😅

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The forum had been working incorrectly. Maybe it has been fixed now.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The forum had been working incorrectly. Maybe it has been fixed now.
But your post has been deleted. If you don't mind, could you post it again? I think your opinion would be helpful for us learners.

Status
Not open for further replies.