Tips Tricks or Helpful Guides to Online/Virtual Teaching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spunkybkworm

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Costa Rica
Hello Teachers! I'm potentially getting back into the classroom after several years away and it's highly likely that it will be a virtual one, specifically hosted on Zoom. I have very little distance learning experience and would very much appreciate any and all advice or suggestions of helpful resources related to this kind of teaching.

Specifically of interest would be any guides on utilizing Zoom features, apps or websites that can be included to maximize interactions during virtual classes, or even simply info on common pitfalls and troubleshooting of teaching online.

I have often relied on chalk/whiteboards as well as dice, cards and other gaming devices during my lessons and activities and am rather at a loss when imagining teaching without such resources. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

leruiz

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hello! I hope everything goes well for you and your classes!

I have never used zoom, but it must be very similar to google meet (which I use), so I'd say to look into the options for screen sharing and tab sharing. In google meet, sharing one specific tab, instead of the whole screen, allows you to show them videos with sound, for example!

I also loved using my board at the classroom, and what I found worked the best online was [commercial site removed by moderator], it's very user-friendly and intuitive to use, but if you have any questions or would like a guide you can find them on youtube or google! Of course, you can also ask here or send me a message, I'd be happy to help and show you how I use it in my classes! It is an online board, and you can put images on it, write, draw, create slides and so on, it's really nice!
I usually use XXX and google drive (to use the presentations there, slides). That allows me to show students things, write in the board, draw and etc.

On the technical side, the most important is having a stable connection. It doesn't need to be super fast, as long as it is stable! The best for this is using a cabled connection, and not the wi-fi, but if you are close to your wi-fi spot (modem) you should be fine.
Microphone and your overall sound quality is more important than your webcam quality (my personal opinion, of course). But, since they need to hear and understand you well, it is better if you can have a good mic, without ecos or low quality sound. Avoid those built-in laptop microphones, because they usually are close to the keyboard, and when you type something it sounds like an earthquake!

I hope it helped!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@leruiz Please note that I have removed the name of the commercial site from your post. Advertising is not permitted on the forum. I checked it out and although sign-up is free, it's clearly intended to encourage people to pay for the extras.

leruiz

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Thank you for letting me know, I'll pay attention to this in the future! I am not affiliated with them and just really like it (since my classes are small, I only use the free option).

For the original poster, I recommend you look for online boards and find one you like to use. There are good, free options available, and they are really useful in classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.