Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
define
a : to determine or identify the essential qualities or meaning of
  • whatever defines us as human
Source: Definition of DEFINE

What's the meanings of "determine" and "identify"?

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I did. It seems to me that "determine" and "identify" are close in meaning to "discover, find out". What do you say?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I say no, they aren't.

As a vocabulary teacher, I also say you're going about this in the wrong way.

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The quote is from any random source on the web and it is ideal to work out the meaning from context.
However, I'm really curious about the meanings of them.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The quote is from any random source on the web and it is ideal to work out the meaning from context.
What quote are you referring to? You gave us the source of the original definition so that's not "any random source". I don't understand the second half of your sentence.

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
"The quote is from any random source on the web" is not well written.
I intended to say "I quote randomly".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
à

I intended to say "I quote randomly".
OK, but I don't know how to make sense out of that. Perhaps: "I quoted anonymous sources on the Web."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't think the sources are anonymous. I think the OP means that he/she looks at lots of content on the internet and randomly chooses ones to quote here.
@GoldfishLord Am I right?

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I tried to work out the meanings from context.
It seems to me that "determine" and "identify" mean "to make something be of a particular type" and "to make it possible to recognize who somebody is" respectively.
I'd like to hear your opinions.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Since somebody asked me this exact same question in a private message recently, I'll share here what I wrote to them:

1) determine

The verb 'determine' means something close to 'find out for sure'. It's a good verb to use with the idea of an investigation because an investigation is done when people want to find out what happened.

The investigation will determine what really happened.

This is an excellent example to show the meaning/use of 'determine'. The idea is that there are possibilities in mind that must be ruled out. Imagine there's been a a plane crash and an investigation team is called to determine the cause of the plane crash. Before the investigation, nobody knows for sure what really happened. People may have some ideas but they don't know for sure. When you determine something, you kind of close all possibilities except one—the real one. Logically, it's similar to the verb 'conclude'.

In philosophy, determinism is the idea that that there is only one history of the universe and that there are no possible alternate worlds except in your mind. That means that God has 'written' the history of the universe already and everything is happening according to this code—everything is 'determined'. There is only one history, only one set of events, and only one thing that can happen.

Think of an open set of possibilities collapsing into one.

2) identify

If you identify something (verb), you are saying that two or more things are identical (adj.). This is the notion of identity (n.) and the related notion of identification (n.).

The idea of identity is essentially about the sameness of reality. When we look around the world, we look for differences and similarities. Imagine you see a dog outside your house in the morning and then you see another dog a few hours later. How do you know if it's the same dog or a different dog? Both possibilities could be true. Well, you try to identify the dog. You look at the dog and your mind compares what you see with what you've seen before. If the dog has the same size, shape, fur, etc., you believe that it's the same dog that you saw in the morning. You have identified the dog.

Let me put that in a way that a mathematician or a logician would put it: Two things are identical if they share all properties. If you draw two circles, with exactly the same radius, the circles are identical.

Here's another good illustration of the meaning of identify: Imagine a crime has been committed and the police have brought in to the police station a group of men, one of whom committed the crime and the others of whom are totally innocent. The victim of the crime comes into the room to look at the group of men. She is trying to identify the criminal. That means that she is trying to match the mental image, the memory that's in her mind, with one of the real men standing in front of her. This is the notion of identification.