Interested in Language
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hello,
Can we say: "A huge truck hit my friend's bike and it (the bike) went into the book shop nearby"? By "went into" I don't mean that it crashed through a brick wall or whatsoever. It ended up inside the building after it crashed through a window,door, etc.

Is it impossible to say that? Thank you

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It sounds odd to me, but I wouldn't say it is completely impossible- more unlikely. Crashed into would work much better.

Hornviper

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
It sounds odd to me, but I wouldn't say it is completely impossible- more unlikely. Crashed into would work much better.

Thank you. I think that "it crashed into the book shop nearby" could be a little ambiguous, can't it? What if the bike ends up inside the store? Would it be more acceptable to say: "A huge truck hit my friend's bike and it landed inside the book store" or maybe even "A huge truck hit my friend's bike and it flew into the book store"? I know that using "end up" fits this sentence neatly, but I am trying to think of an alternative.

I hope you don't mind my questions ;)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Consider this:

'A huge truck hit my friend's bike and knocked it through the window of a bookshop'.

Wardie1993

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you. I think that "it crashed into the book shop nearby" could be a little ambiguous, can't it? What if the bike ends up inside the store? Would it be more acceptable to say: "A huge truck hit my friend's bike and it landed inside the book store" or maybe even "A huge truck hit my friend's bike and it flew into the book store"? I know that using "end up" fits this sentence neatly, but I am trying to think of an alternative.

I hope you don't mind my questions ;)

crashed into the book shop nearby would be acceptable, you don't generally have to be so precise with what happened to the bike, though you could say the bike crashed through the book shop window/door, doing so would explain what exactly happened.

I hope this has helped you.

Status
Not open for further replies.