Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Today I'll confront the perfect beauty of her face to my absolute sorrow in order to understand.

What is the meaning of this sentence? This line is from a story by Rosario Ferre, titled 'When women love men'

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Today I'll confront the perfect beauty of her face to my absolute sorrow in order to understand.

What is the meaning of this sentence? This line is from a story by Rosario Ferre, titled 'When Women Love Men'.

Note my corrections above. Capitalise the first letter of words in book titles.

I suspect what you have found is a terrible attempt at a translation of Ferre's work. I note that all of her writing was in Spanish (Wikipedia article confirms this) so someone has had a go at translating it into English and has failed. Do you have the original Spanish version?

sasibhaskar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I don't have the original Spanish text with me. But this line is from 'Latin American Short Stories', a collection published by Oxford University Press (Edited by Roberto Gonzalez Echeverria). Is it possible to have such mistakes in a book?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't have the original Spanish text with me. But this line is from 'Latin American Short Stories', a collection published by Oxford University Press (Edited by Roberto Gonzalez Echeverria). Is it possible to have such mistakes in a book?
You can find poor translations everywhere. I read a French translation of one book of the Lord of the Rings trilogy that was full of typos, mixed up dialogs, was seriously untrue to the text, and deserved to be burned.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It might make a little more sense in the wider context of the paragraph. Could it be that he'll think about her beauty and feel sad because she rejected him? It reads like a computer translation.

Status
Not open for further replies.