Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
Spain
"Tom agreed to give me a ride."
In the above sentence, is 'me' the indirect object of the action agreed? OR the indirect object of the action 'to give.'
If it is the latter, how is 'to give' taken as a verb when infinitives are not verbs?

I am Okay with the Subject- Tom, verb- agreed, and direct object- the infinitive phrase 'to give me a ride.'

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

In the above sentence, is 'me' the indirect object of the action "agreed" no question mark here OR or the indirect object of the action 'to give'?
If it is the latter, how is 'to give' taken as a verb when infinitives are not verbs?

I am okay with the subject no hyphen here "Tom", the verb no hyphen here "agreed", and the direct object, no hyphen here the infinitive phrase 'to give me a ride'.
Please note my corrections above and that I have changed your thread title. Titles should include some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you're asking us to look at.
I'm not entirely clear on your question. An infinitive is formed by adding "to" to the base form of a verb. The base form itself is a verb. In your sentence, you have "agreed to" (what Tom did) followed by the base form of the verb "give".

bpr8283

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
Spain
Please note my corrections above and that I have changed your thread title. Titles should include some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you're asking us to look at.
I'm not entirely clear on your question. An infinitive is formed by adding "to" to the base form of a verb. The base form itself is a verb. In your sentence, you have "agreed to" (what Tom did) followed by the base form of the verb "give".

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
In the above sentence, is 'me' the indirect object of the action agreed? OR the indirect object of the action 'to give.'
It's the indirect object of the verb,
Infinitives are non-finite parts of a verb. They can have both direct and indirect objects.
I am Okay with the Subject- Tom, verb- agreed, and direct object- the infinitive phrase 'to give me a ride.'
No.
Tom - Subject
agreed to give - verb phrase
me - indirect object
a ride - direct object

Last edited:

bpr8283

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
Spain
It's the indirect object of the verb,

Infinitives are non-finite parts of a verb. They can have both direct and indirect objects.

No.
Tom - Subject
agreed to give - verb phrase
me - indirect object
a rine - direct object
Not really. As I said, I am okay with that part.

Quote:
"I would like to learn more about the space program before I join it.
Joel asked Stephanie to meet him by the shoe store.
The first two examples include infinitive phrases as direct objects. In the last example, the direct object is an infinitive."

Source: https://www.grammarbook.com/blog/verbs/infinitives/

There are several other sources with similar examples if needed.

Last edited:

bpr8283

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
Spain
I found some sources which rectify my doubt. You may close this.