[General] Tomorrow I will bring my so to government hospital to do a X-ray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilbertjim

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Tomorrow I will bring my so to government hospital to do a X-ray.

What is the correct verb for X-ray?

Tomorrow I will bring my son to the (or "a") government hospital to have an X-ray.

What is the correct verb for X-ray?

As you can see from the above, it's "have".

In case you missed it in Grumpy's post, you don't have a "so", you have a "son".

The person who does/takes the X-ray is the radiographer/radiologist. Your son will have an X-ray.

In the US the x-ray is taken by the X-ray technician and is read by the radiologist (who is a physician.)

In the UK, we do have the same distinction regarding the radiologist but in some hospitals and surgeries, the radiologist might both take the X-ray and then interpret it.

The same distinction is made in Aus. But the press doesn't seem to know about it. Their main error is calling a radiographer a radiologist. It's no wonder the public has difficulties.

To be fair, I doubt many members of the public need to know the distinction. They just need to know that they'll get an X-ray if they need one and that it will be interpreted correctly.

Yes, you can use that too.

It would be much more natural written like this: "I am taking my son to the government hospital for an X-ray tomorrow."

And interestingly, I would use "I'm taking my son to the government hospital tomorrow for an X-ray". As I'm sure most learners know by now, there are frequently several different word orders which can be used and all result in a grammatical sentence.

I was going to say the same thing. In BE we'd only say 'I'm going to bring my son to hospital' if I were speaking from the hospital.

Otherwise, 'I'm going to take my son to hospital ...'

For me, either "bring" or "take" works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back