Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You'll hear that from speakers of English in Ireland (Eire). The rest of us say "Shall we go to the beach tomorrow?"

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
What does this sentence mean? Who are you asking it to, and why? Are you asking about a plan? Or are you making a suggestion?
I'm asking from my friend because we had already planned a visit to the beach. So, I want to just confirm the plan. I want to make sure that he hasn't cancelled the plan. It's not suggestion. I think "shall" is for suggestion purpose.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm asking from my friend this because we had already planned a visit to the beach no full stop here So, and I want to just confirm the plan. I want to make sure that he hasn't cancelled the plan changed his mind. It's not a suggestion. I think "shall" is for suggestions. purpose.
Note my changes above. If he had cancelled the plan, you would already know that. Cancelling it would have involved telling you. You're checking that he still wants to go.

As a side note, my comment about English in Ireland refers to suggestions but it's also used to mean "Do you want ...?"

Irish English: Will we go to the beach?
British English: Shall we go to the beach?

Irish English: Will you have a cup of tea?
British English: Do you want a cup of tea?