Member Type
Other
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
UK
a machine trial was done on site to prove the new concept.
what word do we use for trial was 'done' please?

A machine trial was done on site to prove the new concept.
What word do we use for to say that a trial was 'done' please?
I'd use either "carried out" or possibly "run".

I'm not sure that "prove" is really the right word there.

I'd use either "carried out" or possibly "run".

I'm not sure that "prove" is really the right word there.
Please suggest a better word instead of using 'prove' the concept

I can't think of a single-word replacement for prove. If you don't like "prove" you'll have to replace the whole phrase. Instead of prove the concept you could use test the hypothesis or something similar.

I don't know why you can't test a concept.

I was referring to post #4.

'Performed' and 'substantiate'?

"Performed a trial run" would work.
We don't "substantiate concepts", though. The word normally collocates with "claim/accusation/allegation".

"Performed a trial run" would work.
We don't "substantiate concepts", though. The word normally collocates with "claim/accusation/allegation".
No argument intended, but please take a look at this: "Experiments in the 1950s through the 1970s failed to substantiate this concept." (by Hugh McDevitt). And this: "The first such trial was performed by the Medical Research Council on a new tuberculosis medicine, streptomycin, in 1946." (by the St Andrews TB research group).

Last edited:
I'd suggest 'performed' or 'conducted'.

I also dislike 'prove' with 'concept' but I can't suggest a better alternative as I don't know what it's supposed to mean.

I have heard this terminology many times in the industry, "Let's prove the concept first through trials before committing bigger spend"

I'd suggest 'performed' or 'conducted'.

I also dislike 'prove' with 'concept' but I can't suggest a better alternative as I don't know what it's supposed to mean.

They used 'carried out' for the word 'trials'.

Back