Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,

I don't understand the construction of "turning as it does on" in the following sentence. Well, actually I guess my problem lies in specifically in the construction "as it does".

Would you please help me?

This debate, turning as it does on such values as equality and liberty, may never be finally resolvable.
Thanks.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
First, you need to learn what "as it does" means. It's just a language device to add confirmation/emphasis. In other words, you can omit that part without making much difference to the meaning.
Second, can you tell us where you found that sentence please? It was certainly not written by a native/proficient speaker of English.
A natural version might have used "revolving around" instead of "turning on".

Last edited:

Flogger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
First, you need to learn what "as it does" means. It's just a language device to add confirmation/emphasis. In other words, you can omit that part without making much difference to the meaning.
Second, can you tell us where you found that sentence please? It was certainly not written by a native/proficient speaker of English.
A natural version might have used "revolving" instead of "turning".

In the Iranian PHD entrance examination.

You see how full Iranian teachers are! They use sentences written by non-native English speakers to test our English proficiency!!

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Did you mean "foolish" instead of "full"?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It sounds to me very much like it was written by a competent native-speaker.

One way of understanding the use of as it does is to rephrase with a non-defining relative clause.

This debate, turning as it does on such values as equality and liberty, may never be finally resolvable.
This debate, which turns on such values as equality and liberty, may never be finally resolvable.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I don't find the use of "turning" very natural there. If you disagree, can you cite links that use such phrasing?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Oops. That was a typo. Sorry.

Remember to write correctly in every post. You must start every sentence with a capital letter, end every sentence with an appropriate punctuation mark and write complete sentences.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What's equality?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't find the use of "turning" very natural there. If you disagree, can you cite links that use such phrasing?

The only one I could find was the following from an English language forum, which interestingly also uses as it does:

"Shakespeare's comedy of morals is no easy play to stage turning as it does on a series of finely-honed debates on the use and misuse of authority, corruption and deceit."

In this case, the bolded phrase means something like since it turns.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Equality and liberty are the essential points in the debate, and the sentence suggests that we will never have a precise answer to what these mean, so we will never have a precise answer to the question being debated.

Status
Not open for further replies.