Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Using the word "things" for inanimate

"Two things I feel so much emotion for; love and life."

Love and life are not things. So is this sentence correct?

I can understand someone feeling strong emotion for life -- someone who enjoys life. The idea of feeling emotion for love sounds off to me. What do you mean exactly?

You need a colon or a dash, not a semicolon. Punctuation marks all have a purpose -- they aren't meant to be used as fillers.

I can understand someone feeling strong emotion for life -- someone who enjoys life. The idea of feeling emotion for love sounds off to me. What do you mean exactly?

You need a colon or a dash, not a semicolon. Punctuation marks all have a purpose -- they aren't meant to be used as fillers.
Five things people feel so much emotion for;
1. Love 2. Life 3. Death 4. Suffering and. 5. God.

Five things people are very emotional about: 1. Love 2. Life 3. Death 4. Suffering and. 5. God.

Five things which people react to very emotionally;

Which one makes the most sense?

Last edited:
@ahsanul.irfan Please stop putting parts of your posts in bold. It's completely unnecessary. I have removed the bold from about four of your posts in the last five minutes.

Five things people are very emotional about: 1. Love 2. Life 3. Death 4. Suffering and. 5. God.

Which one makes the most sense?
The semi-colon is not used for that purpose. I would replace it with ":-".

@ahsanul.irfan I would do it like this. (See below.)

Five things people get emotional about.

1. Love
2. Life
3. Death
4. Suffering
5. God

@ahsanul.irfan I would do it like this. (See below.)

Five things people get emotional about.

1. Love
2. Life
3. Death
4. Suffering
5. God
"Five things people get emotional about." It sounds like there are only five things people get emotional about. So I would want to say "Five things people get so emotional about".

"Five things people get emotional about no full stop here" It sounds like there are only five things people get emotional about. So I would want to say "Five things people get so emotional about".
No. Don't use "so" when you mean "very".

Note my corrections in the quote box above.

No. Don't use "so" when you mean "very".

Note my corrections in the quote box above.
"Five things people get very emotional about"
Is this version correct?

It sounds like there are only five things people get emotional about.
Only if you said "The five things people get emotional about".

Without "The", it just means you're listing five things. There may be just five or there may be more. Context and common sense will help the reader/listener decide which.

Only if you said "The five things people get emotional about".

Without "The", it just means you're listing five things. There may be just five or there may be more. Context and common sense will help the reader/listener decide which.
"Five things people feel so much emotion for:-....." Isn't this version better?

Five things which evoke people's feelings...

"Five things people feel so much emotion for:-....." Isn't this version better?
Your version with "very" is OK. However, with that one you are going in the wrong direction.

Your version with "very" is OK. However, with that one you are going in the wrong direction.
Do you mean if I say "Five things people feel very much emotion for:-...." it won't be true?

This is wrong. I believe Tarheel was referring to your post #9.

Do you mean "true" or "correct"?

They aren't interchangeable here. "True" means "factually correct", not "grammatically correct".
I mean it won't be factual.

"Five things people feel very much emotion for." Why is this sentence wrong?

It isn't a sentence. It's a heading. It's ungrammatical because "very much" isn't used as an adjective phrase to describe a noun, the way you've used it.

You could say "Five things people feel much emotion for/about", or "Five things which people feel very emotional about" or "Five things which people feel very much emotional about". These are grammatical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back