Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
One of the meanings of "film" is a thin layer of something. Can I use it like this? Are these correct and natural?

1. The moist-filmed spruces swayed in the wind.
2. The dew-filmed spruces swayed in the wind.

If not, what other words can I use? (I already know dusted and coated and I'm looking for another word).

You can't use "moist-filled". You need a noun at the start and you've used an adjective.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't use "moist-filled". You need a noun at the start and you've used an adjective.
Not filled. I'm asking about "filmed".

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there's anything wrong with them.

1. The moisture-filmed spruces swayed in the wind.
I think you'd have to be pretty close to notice they were dewy, and if they were swaying you wouldn't want to get that close. Perhaps: "The spruces laden with dew swayed gently in the wind."

What do you think?

I read "filled" accidentally. My response stands, though. You can't use "moist" there. You need "moisture"
Are these okay?

1. The moisture-filmed spruces swayed in the wind.
3. The moisture-laden spruces swayed in the wind.

They're OK.

A film is formed by a liquid or condensate, which dew is, but not moisture. "Moisture-laden" is okay though.
You could use the adjective, "dewy".

@yiirtoola, the post I have deleted will be restored when you have responded to emsr2d2's post in this thread.

Also,, please read this extract from the forum rules:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly in your posts.

Back