[Grammar] Using "GIFTED" as a verb

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelley_salat

Member Type
Other
Hi,
I want to know the correct usage of the word GIFTED.Is it right to use it as a verb? e.g " I gifted Alice a pink pony".

I grew up studying British English and currently settled in the U.S.I was wondering if gifted is frowned upon here or is it infact the correct verb form ?

Thank you in advance.:lol:

In British English, you'll see it used in things like football reports when a team allows the other team to score an easy goal.

People would associate 'gifted' as the adjective which means 'born with special talent'.
Why would you use the word as a verb which is ambiguous when there are better words to use like 'presented', 'gave as present/gift', etc ?

People would associate 'gifted' as the adjective which means 'born with special talent'.
Why would you use the word as a verb which is ambiguous when you can say 'presented', 'gave as present/gift', etc ?
I have never used it in my life, nor have I heard it used.

Very Interesting answers.I have heard the usage of the word GIFTED very often and hence when I found out people here in U.S were giving me quizzical looks-I decided to investigate.

The Oxford Dict.contains both the verb and adjective form of "GIFT".

Thank you everyone.
:up:

I'm not sure how relevant this is, but I have came across sentences such as "He was gifted with praise."

The Oxford Dict.contains both the verb and adjective form of "GIFT".

The presence of a word in a dictionary testifies to its existence and not necessarily its being used. In all honesty, I think 'I gifted Alice a pink pony' would raise British English speakers' eyebrows as well.

The present tense sounds even stranger - I gift Alice a pink pony. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back