Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
There was an entrance exam for public (=municipal/prefectural) high schools held yesterday in the area (where) I live.
Examinees were asked to write their opinions after reading the following text:

Many people think that it is good to do many activities in nature. So, many organizations give children chances to spend time in nature. For example, schools hold many outdoor events to take children to places like mountains, rivers, lakes, or the sea. Museums or other public facilities also hold events such as nature observation classes or farming activity classes. Children can do a lot of different activities in nature.
Some people say that elementary school children should spend more time in nature. What do you think about this?

(Source: Entrance exam (English) for public high schools in Saitama Prefecture, Japan (translated by tzfujimino))

Now, here's the model answer provided by the Prefectural Board of Education:

I agree with this. Activities in nature are very fun, and children learn many things by doing them. For example, if they go camping, they will enjoy looking at beautiful views, fishing or cooking with their friends. By experiencing these activities, children will learn that working together is very important.

Is the use of "very fun" acceptable?

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Not to me - in any context.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It doesn't bother me much, but I'm sure it wouldn't have occurred to me to use that phrase.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
... especially in a 'model answer provided by the Prefectural Board of Education'.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Why is "very fun" unacceptable?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's ungrammatical English.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When we use "fun" as an adjective, we just don't use an intensifier with it. If you want to use an intensifier, you have to change "fun" into a noun.

That was a lot of fun.
That was loads of fun.
That was great fun.

If you want to use it as an adjective, stick with "That was fun". I have heard a few BrE speakers say "That was really fun". I don't like it and I don't encourage learners to use it.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have heard a few BrE speakers say "That was really fun". I don't like it and I don't encourage learners to use it.
We've hit on yet another trans-Atlantic difference. "Really fun" is common and unremarkable in American English. "Very fun" isn't particularly natural but it doesn't bother my American ears.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It is probably okay in spoken English, but not written English; what more in a model answer for an exam.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is probably okay in spoken [STRIKE]English ,[/STRIKE] (no comma) but not written English, especially [STRIKE]; what more[/STRIKE] in a model answer for an exam.

I don't think any American teacher would mark "really fun" wrong. "Very fun" might raise eyebrows as an odd collocation but I don't think it would be marked wrong either.

Last edited:

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Very fun" has 490 hits on the Corpus of Contemporary American English, though most of the results are from spoken English and online blogs.

I still remember how surprised I was to learn that some people found the adjective use of "fun" unsophisticated. I try to keep that in mind. It's hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.