"vessel" - vehicles in general or just ships?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaraKiriBlade

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The question came up in a translation class I am taking, and opinions were divided as to whether a vessel refers only to marine transportation (ships) or to vehicles in general. I have always thought vessels referred to all types of vehicles as the word in its root means containers. Some of the others in class, however, insisted the word only refers to marine transportation, as that is how the dictionary defines it - a craft for traveling on water. Fair point, although I must also point out the definition also included 'airship.' I'm not convinced entirely, but enough to doubt my own knowledge of the word.

Here's the text that made us ask this question in the first place:

Resolution 2270’s Sanctions
New financial sanctions place limits on banking activities of North Korean entities abroad. The resolution prohibits UN member states from hosting North Korean financial institutions that may be supporting proliferation activities in North Korea. In addition, states are prohibited from opening new financial institutions or bank branches in North Korea and are required to terminate existing joint ventures within ninety days of the adoption of the resolution. Resolution 2270 also imposes an asset freeze on economic resources located outside North Korea owned, either directly or indirectly, by the North Korean government or Worker’s Party of Korea determined by the member state to be associated with North Korea’s nuclear or ballistic missile programs or other activities prohibited by resolutions. These measures are aimed to prevent North Korea from accruing and diverting income to its nuclear and ballistic missile programs.

The resolution imposes a travel ban and asset freeze on 16 additional individuals, an asset ban on 12 additional entities, and names 31 specific vessels associated with the North Korean firm Ocean Maritime Management (OMM), under asset freeze since 2006 under Resolution 1718. It also requires that member states repatriate North Korean or other foreign nationals found to be working on behalf of a Security Council resolution-designated entity.

The resolution requires member states to inspect all cargo travelling to or from North Korea, or on a vessel brokered by North Korea, by air, land, or sea to ensure that no items are transferred in violation of existing Security Council resolutions. Member states are also prohibited from chartering or leasing vessels to North Korea, or providing crew services to North Korea or North Korean entities. The resolution prohibits member states from selling or supplying aviation fuel to North Korea so that it cannot be diverted to its ballistic missile program.

Well, so the class was divided on the word's exact definition for a number of reasons.

1. The word 'chartering,' in its real world usage, is almost exclusively used in the shipping industry, although its dictionary definition includes other possibilities.
2. The sentence before the one in bold says "by air, land, or sea."
3. The most likely recipient of "crew services" is water vehicles...?

I thought about taking this question directly to the UN, but their website says right from the get-go they will only answer certain types of questions. Very discouraging. Of course, they are too busy and important to bother with petty questions from a nobody. So I turn to this forum, where I know the people are kind enough to answer a nobody like me.
Thank you for your help in advance.

- HKB

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can rely on a good dictionary. A consensus of good dictionaries is even more authoritative.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Click here and check out the definition from lots of free online dictionaries.

Everybody should bookmark the OneLook site for future reference.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
They do specify land, sea and air, and I don't see how a ship flies. They also specify aviation fuel, so I would interpret it in a wide sense here.

I watched a few episodes of Doctor Who a while back, and I have a distinct feeling they talked of space vessels carrying cargo around the universe.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To answer the original question: vessel cannot refer to a land vehicle. In some contexts it may refer to an air or space vehicle, but without further context, the reader will assume it's a marine one.

Status
Not open for further replies.