Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Today when I had a class with students we were discussing railways and I've remembered and taught them how to call a train section. There four possibilities that I know and I'd like to clarify the meanings that you use today in BE and AE:

1. Wagon - I've found in my Collins Cobuild dictionary that wagons transport different goods, not people. The dictionary also offers a synonym in AE: freight car. I've made a conclusion that wagons aren't used to speak about transporting passengers.

2. Car - is used in AE to talk about a section of a train. in BE the same meaning is conveyed by "carriage". in BE the word "car" is also used to speak about a train's section aimed at a particular purpose, like "dining car", "sleeping car".

3. Coach - in BE means the same as "carriage". A coach is a section of a train carrying passengers. If so, is there any difference between "carriage" and "coach"?

What about these distinctions between BE and AE? Are they followed or not?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You are probably right about the British English/American English differences.

I think you meant to say you taught them WHAT to call the various railway cars.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
You are probably right about the British English/American English differences.

I think you meant to say you taught them WHAT to call the various railway cars.

I didn't actually teach them what to call railway cars. I mean I didn't intend to, but this question arose during the lesson today. I'm interested in this topic myself, too as I remembered about the differences.

Can we use "wagon" in the meaning of a train section for passengers or it's applied only to freight trains (goods trains)?
I'm also interested why we need two different words describing the same type of section (carriage/coach)?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The passenger cars are called "coaches", I think. The freight cars have various names according to their structure and function.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Wagons refer to coaches carrying goods and pulled by animals in the old days. The term is not common nowadays though you hear certain cars being called station wagons.

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In BrE it is a mixture. You need to go to a rail forum rather than a language one if you want details.

As a general rule in the UK Underground trains have cars, other passenger trains mostly have carriages.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
The present perfect is wrong, because the class is over.
Yes, indeed. I know this rule. Anyway, thank you for pointing it out. I will be more careful next time.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I'm a bit surprised that sometimes different words are used to designate a train section. In the Russian language, for instance, we use the same word for any kind of a train section no matter if it's a passenger train or a freight train. It really interests me why there are several words for this in English and why there are differences between BE and AE in this case.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are numerous differences between the two variants. The best explanation I can give is history and geography.