Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

This example is from the book ''Longman Advanced Learne's Grammar.'' It says ''tasting'' is correct. So ''taste'' ''smell'' and ''prefer'' can be used in the continuous sometimes? I used ''we taste'' before checking the book's answers.

''Would you like to try these champagnes? We are tasting them to write a review for the wine club newsletter.''

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
If I am not wrong, ''taste'' ''like'' and ''prefer'' can be used in the continuous when they suggest a change.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If I am not wrong, ''taste'' ''like'' and ''prefer'' can be used in the continuous when they suggest a change.

Stative verbs including "like"and "prefer" cannot be used in continuous form. Google "stative verbs".

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Stative verbs including "like"and "prefer" cannot be used in continuous form. Google "stative verbs".

I don't remember which book I was using it said you could use these verbs in the continuous if you are talking about changes that are happening. ''The wine is tasting bitter=staring to taste bitter''. ''I am prefering green tea'' as in ''I am starting to prefer green tea'' and ''I am liking her more'' as in ''I am staring to like her more''.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't remember which book I was using it said you could use these verbs in the continuous if you are talking about changes that are happening. ''The wine is tasting bitter=staring to taste bitter''. ''I am prefering green tea'' as in ''I am starting to prefer green tea'' and ''I am liking her more'' as in ''I am staring to like her more''.

I'm sure you will find exceptions due to popular usage, but "prefer" and "like" are stative verbs. Why not, "The wine tastes bitter" and "I like her more"? "Starting to prefer and "starting to like" are OK.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"I'm liking this wine more the more I drink of it" is OK.

I can't think of a reasonable context for "preferring" (except at the beginning of a sentence such as "Preferring chocolate to broccoli is perfectly normal".)

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
why not, "A growing number prefer...…"?

Because that would not express the progressive aspect, i.e., a focus on what is presented at the moment of speaking as a (temporary) trend in preference .

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Because that would not express the progressive aspect, i.e., a focus on what is presented at the moment of speaking as a (temporary) trend in preference .

No one said anything about ''the wine is tasting bitter and bitter.''

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Where does that sentence come from? It's not correct.

I don't remember which book I was using but there was a similar example about the wine changingits taste.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's a terrible (grammatically incorrect) example.

This wine is tasting more and more bitter.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Is that what you meant?

It was not my example. I cannot find it but I remember there was the progressive in that sentence. I made a mistake and wrote bitter and bitter instead of more and more bitter, thanks for correcting me, emsr2d2 and GoesStation. As I see the verb ''taste'' can be used in the progressive to express a change.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why is "a growing number" not a "progressive aspect"?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Why is "a growing number" not a "progressive aspect"?

By 'progressive aspect' I mean that which is expressed by progressive verb tenses (present/past progressive, etc.). It's a technical term. Another way to say 'progressive' is 'continuous'.

The difference between People prefer and People are preferring is that the former shows no aspect (present simple) and the latter shows progressive aspect (present progressive). That means that the two forms have different meanings/uses.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
By 'progressive aspect' I mean that which is expressed by progressive verb tenses (present/past progressive, etc.). It's a technical term. Another way to say 'progressive' is 'continuous'.

The difference between People prefer and People are preferring is that the former shows no aspect (present simple) and the latter shows progressive aspect (present progressive). That means that the two forms have different meanings/uses.

I think "a growing number" suggests a continuous action and while not a verb form nor meeting the grammatical definition of a "progressive aspect", I would use "prefer" and believe it qualifies as an exception to the rule. :shock:

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think "a growing number" suggests a continuous action

This phrase suggests there's a trend happening.

and while not a verb form nor meeting the grammatical definition of a "progressive aspect",

Right. It is not the noun phrase A growing number that shows aspect, but the verb group, i.e., the 'are preferring' part.

I would use "prefer"

Okay, but that would not have exactly the same effect, since it would lack progressive aspect.

and believe it qualifies as an exception to the rule. :shock:

I'm not sure what you mean here. There's no rule that says you can't use 'prefer'.

One of the uses of the present continuous is to suggest that there is a trend taking place. This is why 'are preferring' is an ideal form to use in this context.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
While not itself a verb and technically not meeting attributes of the "progressive aspect", "growing number" does suggest an ongoing/continuing activity and therefore could/would be understood as such.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
While not itself a verb and technically not meeting attributes of the "progressive aspect", "growing number" does suggest an ongoing/continuing activity and therefore could/would be understood as such.

Yes, I agree, but also using are preferring instead of prefer compounds the sense of temporary ongoing activity. In other words, it's more effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.