Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
[FONT=宋体]The paragraph at the bottom of this webpage is taken from a comprehenion test passage titled with THUMBING A LIFT. One of the problems set is as follows:[/FONT]
[FONT=宋体][/FONT]
[FONT=宋体]In paragraph3, we learn that the writer _______.[/FONT]
[FONT=宋体]A. has sometimes failed to hitch a ride[/FONT]
[FONT=宋体]B. has marched from Aldermaston to London[/FONT]
[FONT=宋体]C. has always been successful in hitching a ride[/FONT]
[FONT=宋体]D. has had to wait for long hours for a ride[/FONT]
[FONT=宋体]The given answer is C.[/FONT]
[FONT=宋体][/FONT]
[FONT=宋体]I thought C would be what we could infer from this paragraph, rather than what we could learn (directly) from it. Is there a difference between the two words when we're doing comprehension test problems like this?[/FONT]
[FONT=宋体]Thank you in advance.[/FONT]
[FONT=宋体][/FONT]
But even with careful preparation[FONT=&#23435],[/FONT]you must not assume that the task will be easy[FONT=&#23435].[/FONT]You should be prepared to wait a little[FONT=&#23435],[/FONT]for there are drivers who confess to a fierce prejudice against[FONT=&#23435],[/FONT]not to say hatred of[FONT=&#23435],[/FONT]hitch[FONT=&#23435]-[/FONT]hikers[FONT=&#23435],[/FONT]and would no more pick up a hiker than march from Aldermaston to London[FONT=&#23435].[/FONT]InAmerica[FONT=&#23435],[/FONT]my average wait was half an hour[FONT=&#23435],[/FONT]and my longest twohours[FONT=&#23435],[/FONT]but I have heard of people waiting all day[FONT=&#23435];[/FONT]they presumably took less pains to make themselves conspicuous[FONT=&#23435].[/FONT]
[FONT=宋体][/FONT]
[FONT=宋体][/FONT]
[FONT=宋体][/FONT]
[FONT=宋体][/FONT]

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
The Oxford Dictionary defines the two words as follows:

Infer
means to deduce or conclude (information) from evidence and reasoning rather than from explicit statements.

Learn means to gain or acquire knowledge of, or skill in (something) by study, experience, or being taught.

None of the questions use language that was explicitly stated in the paragraph. Therefore, you are being asked to infer information.
If one of the answers had contained the exact words used in the text, the question would be testing you on what you had learned.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.