We can sit here in the corner unless you'd rather sit there by the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
We can sit here in the corner unless you'd rather sit there by the window. From "English Grammar" by Raymond Murphy.

I can't understand the example above. In the exercise, I should have made a choice between "as long as" and "unless", and I chose the first. I made the sentence simpler getting rid of "would rather" which I don't know why is used there (We can sit here in the corner if you sit there by the window.), but the answer key says it should be "unless", and it shows that I clearly don't understand the sentence and have rephrased it wrongly. Could you please explain to me the meaning of the sentence and why exactly "would rather" is used there?

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
We can sit here in the corner unless you'd rather sit there by the window.

The usual interpretation would be: We can sit here in the corner, but if you'd rather be by the window, we can sit there.

… "would rather" is used because the speaker is asking the other person for their preference … here or there?

Last edited:

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Could you give some examples so I can catch the pattern? I'm trying to get used to this structure (with would rather), but it still looks unusual (if not incomprehensible :)) to me.

I'll try to make that sentence very simple (primitively simple, I would say) in one more attempt to figure out who and where should sit. :-D We can sit here in the corner if you don't want to sit by the window. Is this what that sentence really means?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
We can sit here in the corner if you don't want to sit by the window. Is this what that sentence really means?

No. It means:

I suggest we sit here in the corner. But, if you would prefer to sit by the window, that's okay with me.

unless is equivalent to except in the case that.

would rather is equivalent to would prefer to.

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
I think I've got it. Finally. (I'm not quick-witted as you can see.:)) But it would help if you confirmed my assumption if it's correct. The speaker is addressing someone accompanying them, right? From the very beginning, I thought it is someone from another company who's being addressed, and the sentence didn't make sense to me, consequently. What do you say? Have I got it right?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, there are two people, who are accompanying each other. They want to sit together at the same table. They're choosing which table to sit at.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The speaker is addressing someone accompanying them, right? From the very beginning, I thought it is someone from another company who's being addressed ….
Someone accompanying them is not necessarily someone from another company.

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Someone accompanying them is not necessarily someone from another company.
This is the opposite of what I meant to say. :-D I wanted to say that, at first, I thought that the speaker was talking to someone from another company (which didn't make sense and caused that long-standing misunderstanding), and at last I figured out that that sentence was addressed to a person from the same company (that is, accompanying them).

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I figured out that that sentence was addressed to a person from the same company (that is, accompanying them).
Company is sometimes used to mean "group of people" (and has a formal definition of that sort in the military). However, in the same company means "working for the same firm" or "a member of the same military unit". It doesn't mean "in a nearby location".

Confusingly, you can say that you're in the company of someone who's nearby.

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Company is sometimes used to mean "group of people" (and has a formal definition of that sort in the military). However, in the same company means "working for the same firm" or "a member of the same military unit". It doesn't mean "in a nearby location".

Confusingly, you can say that you're in the company of someone who's nearby.
I've just looked up in the dictionary and found such meanings of "company" as "the activity of being with other people" and "people you are with". The dictionary is British, though. And dictionaries don't always tell whether a word usage is natural or not. I'm burning with curiosity. Is what I said in post #8 comprehensible for BrE speakers, and if so, to what extent is it natural? I mean the usage of "company".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm burning with curiosity. Is what I said in post #8 comprehensible for BrE speakers, and if so, to what extent is it natural? I mean the usage of "company".

Comprehensible, in context, yes. Natural, no.

This is not related to BrE/AmE.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Comprehensible, in context, yes. Natural, no.

This is not related to BrE/AmE.
I don't think it's comprehensible in the sentence Gene wrote. I read it as referring to a visitor from a different firm and only understood the intended meaning after Gene explained it.

Status
Not open for further replies.