We hear something in Greg's statement there of Iran's rhetoric when they use the word

Status
Not open for further replies.

lagoo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
We hear something in Greg's statement there of Iran's rhetoric when they use the word terrorism. The U.S. uses the word terrorism about Iran. Iran is happy to turn that back and say, you say we're the terrorists. We say you're the terrorists. And here's a reality that the U.S. has to consider as it watches for possible Iranian retaliation.
from NPR news radio

Concerning the use of ‘when’ in the first bolded part, what does ‘when’ mean in that sentence?
Does it modify the verb ‘hear’, meaning the time when we hear that?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Concerning the use of ‘when’ in the first bolded part, what does ‘when’ mean in that sentence?
[STRIKE]Yes[/STRIKE] No.

Last edited:

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We hear something in Greg's statement there of Iran's rhetoric when they use the word terrorism. The U.S. uses the word terrorism about Iran. Iran is happy to turn that back and say, you say we're the terrorists. We say you're the terrorists. And here's a reality that the U.S. has to consider as it watches for possible Iranian retaliation.
from NPR news radio

No. If that were so, the "when"-clause could be fronted, but it can't:

When they use the word 'terrorism,' we hear something in Greg's statement there.

Rather, the "when"-clause modifies the noun phrase "Iran's rhetoric," which is the object of "of." The "of"-phrase is extraposed. It modifies "something."

We hear [something [of Iran's rhetoric [when they use the word terrorism]]] in Greg's statement there.

lagoo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Rather, the "when"-clause modifies the noun phrase "Iran's rhetoric
I made up a sentence. Is it right?
I know your response when you got that gift last night.
Does it have a similar function where ‘when -clause’ modifies a noun, as in the original post?

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I made up a sentence. Is it right?
I know your response when you got that gift last night.
Does it have a similar function where ‘when -clause’ modifies a noun, as in the original post?

Yes, but I find that sentence rather awkward with know. I'd prefer something like this: I heard about your response when you got that gift last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.