[Grammar] Well, this was/is a fun review.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
(On the English language program Let's Talk in English)

Jay: Yes, once the leaves fall to the ground, then it's time to rake them up and maybe jump in them.

Pauline: Well, this [was or is] a fun review. Now let's start learning some new things, maybe with Jack for our key words.
--------
1. Does Pauline say "was" or "is"? Which one is better? I think that she says "was", and that "was" is better than "is", because Jay's review has been past.

2. What does "
for our key words" mean? Does it mean let's start learning some new things - maybe let's go for our key words with Jack?

What do you think?
--------
(Video clip)

Last edited:

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
#1 Was
#2 I think that the "key words" must have been previously mentioned or identified as such.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
#2 I think that the "key words" must have been previously mentioned or identified as such.
Yes, Jack introduces today day's key words right after that.

Last edited by a moderator:

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Pauline: ... Now let's start learning some new things, maybe with Jack for our key words.
--------
2. What does "
for our key words" mean? Does it mean let's start learning some new things - maybe let's go for our key words with Jack?
Yes, Jack introduces today day's key words right after that.
So what do members think about my question 2? :)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
More very poor English from Let's Talk in English.

She's obviously trying to make a link to the next section of the show, which apparently features a man named Jack, who is about to present today's key words. The phrase maybe with Jack for our key words is all wrong, but fortunately, the context is so clear that it's easy to understand what she means. It's possible that she's reading from a script, but I'd say it's very unlikely that someone could actually write something as bad as that. If she's not reading from a script, then she really should be because her English is awful.

I really think your English is better than hers, kadioguy. Isn't it time you started watching something better?

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
More very poor English from Let's Talk in English.

She's obviously trying to make a link to the next section of the show, which apparently features a man named Jack, who is about to present today's key words. The phrase maybe with Jack for our key words is all wrong, but fortunately, the context is so clear that it's easy to understand what she means. It's possible that she's reading from a script, but I'd say it's very unlikely that someone could actually write something as bad as that. If she's not reading from a script, then she really should be because her English is awful.
I agree with you, jutfrank. :)
I really think your English is better than hers, kadioguy. Isn't it time you started watching something better?
I really appreciate your kindness, and hope my questions about Let's Talk in English don't make you upset. I often watch Let's Talk in English mainly because it is broadcast six days a week and free. In Taiwan I have easy access to this English language program. I know you think I deserve something better, and yes, I do have - I have you all as my teachers on this forum if I find anything seems strange on the show. One day I'll move on to something harder and better. Before that day, please allow me to keep studying and asking questions, if you don't mind. :up:

Last edited:

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Pauline: Well, this [was or is] a fun review. Now let's start learning some new things, maybe with Jack for our key words.
--------
1. ... I think that ... "was" is better than "is", because Jay's review has been past.
Does my thought make sense? :)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
keep studying and asking questions

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, was is better if Jay's review is in the past.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I hope so. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.