[General] What are acceptable pronunciations for a foreign speaker to use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxxun

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hi there !

I'm boxxun, a french self-taught english speaker that still has to this day (though I am quite young, objectively) trouble pronouncing some letters at times.

I definitely am not looking to make my english perfect, instead settling for ways to get a satisfying, understandable and consistent way of pronouncing the dreaded "th" and "r" that are O so present in the english language, and avoid stuttering every word or two for no reason.

For now, I've mainly settled with pronouncing "this" as "dis", as to not use the good old "Zis" associated with us frenchies, it works well ath the moment, but I'm not sure how it may be perceived by native speakers.

On the other hand, I can't seem to find a reliable way of pronouncing r's, because they have so many ways to be said, be it hard R's, the ones french and german people most often use, or the "round"/ soft R's as in "write" for example, but I always get stuck on them when speaking otherwise fluidly, so I want to settle for either of them, I just can't be halted every time I have to say "wrath" or "quarry", to cite the less common occurrences of my english nemesis.

So what is in your opinion the better sounding variant, only hard R's or "soft" R's ?

I think that will be all for now, though I'm open to any other constructive criticism you may give me.
Thank you very much for reading !

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You will generally be understood fine if you pronounce /th/ like /d/ and use the French uvular /r/. Many native speakers substitute /d/ for /th/; it's a feature of Irish English and many Native American pronunciations of English. English also has a variety of /r/ sounds, including the uvular /r/ in a few dialects.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi there! Don't leave a space before an exclamation mark.

I'm Boxxun, a French self-taught English speaker that still has to this day (though I am quite young, objectively) trouble pronouncing some letters at times.

I definitely am not looking to make my English perfect, instead settling for ways to get a satisfying, understandable and consistent way of pronouncing the dreaded "th" and "r" that are oh-so-present in the English language, and avoid stuttering every word or two for no reason.

For now, I've mainly settled with pronouncing "this" as "dis", so as to not use the good old "zis" associated with us Frenchies. It works well [STRIKE]ath[/STRIKE] at the moment, but I'm not sure how it may be perceived by native speakers.

On the other hand, I can't seem to find a reliable way of pronouncing r's, because they have so many ways to be said, be it hard R's, the ones French and German people most often use, or the "round"/ soft R's as in "write" for example, but I always get stuck on them when speaking otherwise fluidly, so I want to settle for either of them; I just can't be halted every time I have to say "wrath" or "quarry", to cite the less common occurrences of my English nemesis.

So what is, in your opinion, the better sounding variant, only "hard" R's or "soft" R's ?

I think that will be all for now, though I'm open to any other constructive criticism you may give me.
Thank you very much for reading!

While you're digesting the other responses, please note my corrections above. You really need to concentrate on capitalising proper nouns.

Status
Not open for further replies.