Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Would you explain the meaning of the phrase in the cartoon please?

The phrase: it does the fax Max.

Maxwell is a name of the fish.

there's no answer there. nobody know what is the answer. that's why i created a topic here.

There's no answer there. Nobody knows [STRIKE]what is[/STRIKE] the answer. That's why I created a topic here.

Note my corrections above. You must start every new sentence with a capital letter, and always capitalise the word "I". I have shortened your second sentence so that it is more natural. If you wanted to use the longer version, you would need to say "Nobody knows what the answer is". Also note that your thread title is not grammatical. The title should be simply "It does the fax, Max" or "What does 'It does the fax, Max' mean?"

I've listened to it about ten times and I'm not even sure the subtitles are correct. He could be saying:

It does the fax, Max.
Eight does the fax, Max.
It does the facts, Max.
Eight does the facts, Max.

None of them makes sense to me, nor can I come up with anything else that fits the context of doing housework.

Thanks a lot.
What is intersting that the notice haven't some sence with the whole episode and perhaps even the whole serial.
I watched a lot of information in Internet for hours but there's nothing about it.
I can say that this character like to change some idioms. Maybe here is there the idiom?

The corrections that was made I noticed them. I'll be attentive.

Thanks a lot.

What is interesting is that the notice [STRIKE]haven't some[/STRIKE] doesn't make sense within the whole episode and perhaps even the whole [STRIKE]serial[/STRIKE] series.

I [STRIKE]watched[/STRIKE] have done a lot of searching [STRIKE]a lot of information[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] on the internet [STRIKE]for hours[/STRIKE] but [STRIKE]there's[/STRIKE] I have found nothing about it.

[STRIKE]I can say that[/STRIKE] This character likes to change some idioms. Maybe here [STRIKE]is there[/STRIKE] he is changing [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] an idiom.

I have taken note of the corrections that [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] were made. [STRIKE]I noticed them. I'll be attentive.[/STRIKE]

Please note my corrections above. I have two suggestions:

1. You should work on some basics of the English language.
2. Stop watching weird cartoons - they're not good examples of natural English and you won't learn much.

Please note my corrections above. I have two suggestions:

1. You should work on some basics of the English language.
2. Stop watching weird cartoons - they're not good examples of natural English and you won't learn much.

Thank you for correcting my post very much !

I'm trying to improve my english. I work on it. But you can watch by yourself how a level is.

Thank you very much for correcting my post. [STRIKE]very much ![/STRIKE]

I'm trying to improve my English. I'm working on it. But you can [STRIKE]watch[/STRIKE] see [STRIKE]by[/STRIKE] for yourself [STRIKE]how[/STRIKE] what [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] my level is.

You're welcome! Don't take our corrections as criticisms - everything we do here is in an attempt to help you learn. Here are some rules you might want to copy down and refer to every time you write a post:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- Always capitalise the word "I" and all proper nouns (eg English, Microsoft, Shakespeare).
- End every sentence with one appropriate punctuation mark.
- Don't put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.

Are you learning English alone or do you take classes? Do you read news articles and simple texts in English? Do you watch English news programmes or listen to (talk) radio in English?

Thanks a lot.
I'm glad to read the corrections. Seeing and watching it I'm learning my English, I guess. The rules I'll remember.
I'm learning English alone, but I often use English forums where I'm getting help from other teachers.
I work on me every day. I read news articles of BBC and other newspapers. I watch the cartoon above. I try to listen to a radio but I don't get some sounds. My audition is very bad. Texts I understand good, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably slang for "It's true, Max."

See: fax

Last edited:
Thanks a lot.

I'm [STRIKE]glad to read[/STRIKE] grateful for the corrections.

Seeing and watching it I'm learning my English, I guess. I don't know what this sentence means. Please try to rewrite it using different words.

I'll remember the rules. [STRIKE]I'll remember.[/STRIKE]

I'm learning English alone, but I often use English forums where [STRIKE]I'm getting[/STRIKE] I can get help from other teachers.

I work on me every day.

I read news articles [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] on the BBC and [STRIKE]other[/STRIKE] in newspapers.

I watch the cartoon above.

I try to listen to [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] the radio but I don't get some [STRIKE]sounds[/STRIKE] words.

My [STRIKE]audition[/STRIKE] listening is very bad.

[STRIKE]Texts[/STRIKE] I understand texts [STRIKE]good,[/STRIKE] well. [STRIKE]I guess.[/STRIKE]

See my corrections (in red) and comments (in blue) above.

You don't need to actively listen to the radio. Just have the radio on in the background when you're doing other things. Even if you don't understand a lot of the words, you will start to get used to the rhythm and general sounds of the language. You will realise that you're starting to understand more of what you hear without even trying.

I definitely think you should watch something other than cartoons. You need to hear real people speaking English clearly and carefully. Do you have access to TED Talks online? They're fairly short and there are some very interesting topics. If you really need to, you can turn on subtitles but it's better to try watching them without subtitles first.

Seeing and watching it I'm learning my English, I guess. I don't know what this sentence means. Please try to rewrite it using different words.
I want to say what if I often see your corrections I get myself new knowledges on English, maybe.
I'm learning (improve) my English if I'll be seeing and watching your corrections. So is it more good to understand?

Just have the radio on in the background when you're doing other things.
Is this exactly working? I've hear that learning English in the way don't give some sense. Althoug When I'm hearing podcasts I try to understand the sense of it.
Do you have access to TED Talks online?
No, I haven't an access to this resource. I'll try to connect to him.
If you really need to, you can turn on subtitles but it's better to try watching them without subtitles first.
I was said about it. And I also try this way to learn English.

I want to say [STRIKE]what[/STRIKE] that if I often see your corrections, I [STRIKE]get myself new knowledges on[/STRIKE] will learn more English, maybe.
[STRIKE]I'm learning[/STRIKE] I will (improve) my English if [STRIKE]I'll[/STRIKE] I [STRIKE]be seeing and watching[/STRIKE] see your corrections.

So is it more good to understand? I don't know what you mean.

[STRIKE]Is this exactly working?[/STRIKE] Does this really work?

I've heard that learning English [STRIKE]in the[/STRIKE] this way [STRIKE]don't[/STRIKE] doesn't [STRIKE]give some[/STRIKE] make sense although when [STRIKE]I'm hearing[/STRIKE] I listen to podcasts, I try to understand the [general] sense of [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] them.

No, I [STRIKE]haven't[/STRIKE] don't have [STRIKE]an[/STRIKE] access to this resource. I'll try to connect to [STRIKE]him[/STRIKE] it.

I was said about it. I don't know what you mean.

And I also try this way to learn English. What way do you try?

See above.

I have an exercise for you. Get your textbook or go online and spend some time studying the difference between "watch" and "see", and the difference between "listen" and "hear".

The first, thanks a lot.
So is it more good to understand? I don't know what you mean.
I want to say that now my edited text became more correct.
I was said about it. I don't know what you mean.
I was said by other teachers that I become watching or listening to a media information I'll get benefit a lot.
And I also try this way to learn English. What way do you try?
I try to watch TV or something different without subtitles.

"To watch" and "to listen" includes yourself paying or giving attention with the ear or the eyes.
"to see" and "to hear" means not to pay attention. to hear is to experience the sound; to see is the active sence and it don't' imply affords.

"To watch" and "to listen" [STRIKE]includes yourself[/STRIKE] mean paying or giving attention with the ear or the eyes.
"To see" and "to hear" [STRIKE]means[/STRIKE] mean not to pay attention. "To hear" is to experience the sound; "to see" is the active sense and it [STRIKE]don't'[/STRIKE] doesn't imply [STRIKE]affords[/STRIKE] effort.

Yes, I know what they mean. You now need to make sure that you are using them correctly. You will notice that several of the corrections I made in previous posts were to your usage of those four words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back